Fort pickens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmccoy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know it is back open but are there working restrooms and showers yet?

There is a new bathroom facility that was constrcuted by the parking area for the jetties. In the back of it there are mens and womens showers/changing area which is very convenient. During the Jetty Fest we went over to try and use it, but they had it closed because they had turned off all of the water to prevent the pipes from bursting during or resent cold snap. I am not sure if they have opened everything back up, but I would imagine they have as the air temps have gotten back to normal (for this time of year). If they do still have them closed there is another bathroom located by the shack shop located across from the fishing pier that will be open. It is a bit of a walk to use for the jetties, but I used to use it before the new ones opened up.

On a side note the camp grounds are back and running as well.

Here are current tide tables:

http://www.freetidetables.com/sid/26505460/tf/tgp/fmt/ttb

This picture doesn't show the new bathrooms,but I have an arrow pointing to where they are:

Ft_Pickens_Parking_copy.jpg

restrooms open during visit on 2/6/10. water looked like coffee. whitecaps. no good for diving. XRay and I drowned our sorrows at McGuire's instead.

We are going to need a week or more of dry weather and some good tidal changes and things will improve. Don't always judge a book by it's cover at Ft. Pickens though. On one dive last summer MrXray and I hit Ft. Pickens and it was super brown and nasty on the surface. Once you got down to about 18' there was a thermocline and visibility popped up to 15 or a little better. I have also dove there with one footers in the bay and had a great dive as well. Oh well at least you guys had McGuire's as a back-up place to "get wet" :coke::drunks:

We are going to need a week or more of dry weather and some good tidal changes and things will improve. Don't always judge a book by it's cover at Ft. Pickens though. On one dive last summer MrXray and I hit Ft. Pickens and it was super brown and nasty on the surface. Once you got down to about 18' there was a thermocline and visibility popped up to 15 or a little better. I have also dove there with one footers in the bay and had a great dive as well. Oh well at least you guys had McGuire's as a back-up place to "get wet" :coke::drunks:

If the water in the gulf hadn't been yellow with sand OR the water had been 5 degrees warmer I would have made the dive.

sandy gulf water + whitecaps + black coffee bay water + 55 degree water temp = steak at McGuires :wink:

Thanks! Part of the campground is open now I think. I'm thinking about taking a day trip and making a 2 tank trip and a shore dive if the tide is right. But if the campground and bathrooms are working I might just camp one night and make a few dives at ft. Pickens

Wjefferes: thanks for the tide chart and map!

Depending on the weather I'm planning on camping the 1st weekend in march at ft. Pickens. If my g/f decides she doesn't want to dive I may need a buddy. It looks like high tide will be 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30.

Depending on the weather I'm planning on camping the 1st weekend in march at ft. Pickens. If my g/f decides she doesn't want to dive I may need a buddy. It looks like high tide will be 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30.

I would get in the water two before high tide. This will allow you to get in two dives. If you are only going to do one tank get in an hour prior.

Back
Top Bottom