Fort Wetherill, Sat. 6/19/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm thinking of diving here, and was looking for anyone else who would care to join me. Time TBD, depending on everyone's availability. It'd be nice to put some faces with screen names. Any takers? Post or PM.

I'm planning on joining you, as is my brother Neckbone. I'd preferr to dive later in the day, allowing my wife to come up later to do a run for the Nordic Lodge. Would that work? If not, I'd still be happy to come up earlier in the day.

How is this dive site (parking, visability, marine life..)? I am really interested in exploring dive sites in RI, as I usually dive in Cape Ann.

If I can persuade my dive buddies to go to RI instead of the usual sites, maybe we'll join you!

Are there any other sites in RI that you would recommend?

-Jessica

www.jessicavasale.com

nusspli:
How is this dive site (parking, visability, marine life..)? I am really interested in exploring dive sites in RI, as I usually dive in Cape Ann.

If I can persuade my dive buddies to go to RI instead of the usual sites, maybe we'll join you!

Are there any other sites in RI that you would recommend?

-Jessica

www.jessicavasale.com

Hi Jessica,

Here's the page about Fort Weth from the MIT scuba site:
http://web.mit.edu/scuba-club/www/Ft_Wetherill.html

Parking is good (not as good during the middle of the day), and sea life is pretty good there, from schools of fish to crabs, anemones and lobster. I've heard better divers find nudis there, too.

Vis varies; I was there beginning of May, and vis was up to 30'. Last year, you were lucky if you could see 5' away, but I heard that was from the dredging the state was doing in Newport.

Also, a popular spot for OW cert divers, so some days you could walk across the cove on dive flags without getting your feet wet. Weekdays are virutally deserted, usually.

The MIT site has other RI sites, but I've heard Beavertail is good, but too advanced for me at this time.

I've dove King's Beach off Ocean Drive near Newport and Ft. Adams State Park(site of Civil War era fort). Viz was real poor at the Fort and not to much to see, too much muck. Get's deep quick(I think out to 150 fsw). King's Beach was better, but pretty shallow. Lots to see and the night dive we did there had plenty of action...lobsters, squid, fish, crabs, etc. We had no problem parking either place and entry/exit was not an issue. Still would like to do Ft. Wetherill(sp?), though. Not this week, sister is getting married on the 19th. Have fun.

LobstaMan

I think I am going to be able to make it. I get off of work @ 7am on Saturday morning. I should be able to get there for 11am. Only problem I foresee is if i get mandated to work another shift.
I will PM you at the end of the week and let you know for sure:D

Carla

I want to go saturday. But i'm leaving for Aruba that day. lol
Anyway i live in RI and when i get back i would love to join you guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom