Found an underwater camera: need help finding owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm working with someone higher up in Disney. They have all the info they need now to try and make a connection. Apparently they have quite a few lost cameras, but don't know if they were this type, etc.

I contacted Vivitar directly, and they have no system to track warranty registrations.

The Disney guy mentioned that this has happened in the past, and that one camera was returned - to which the owner was very grateful - but they were really upset that the pictures of their kids were "sprayed all over the Internet". That's why we removed the photos from here.

No good deed goes unpunished.

As an aside, I try to add a text file containing my email address to my sd cards. I also have written my email address on the inside of the back door of my gopro cases. I would recommend this to everyone. Cameras are so easy to loose.

Back in the days of philm cameras, processing labs routinely mislaid rolls of philm and some trravelers used to literally take one shot at the start of each roll, with someone holding up a white card that had contact information on it.

No reason that a digicam today couldn't encode a similar message into the photos (visible or invisible, like the location in the metadata). 'Scuse me now, I've got to run down to the patent office and file on that one.

Back in the days of philm cameras, processing labs routinely mislaid rolls of philm and some trravelers used to literally take one shot at the start of each roll, with someone holding up a white card that had contact information on it.

No reason that a digicam today couldn't encode a similar message into the photos (visible or invisible, like the location in the metadata). 'Scuse me now, I've got to run down to the patent office and file on that one.

I'm actually at the patent office. Literally, I work there. And your post qualifies as a prior disclosure. You are therefore ineligible for a patent in jurisdictions that do not grant a 1 year grace period for prior disclosures; i.e. you can only file in Canada and the US but the clock is ticking. lol

Already been done. :)

No, sadly not.

Disney's idea of "help" was to send them the camera. With no information or even reliable time stamps, it's nearly impossible.

Back
Top Bottom