Free parking comes to an end at beach north of Sunrise Boulevard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like water sports on north end of Lauderdale beach can continue

By Brittany Wallman
Sun-Sentinel.com

May 1, 2007, 3:22 PM EDT

FORT LAUDERDALE -- The seven sports on the north end of the beach can continue.

City commissioners agreed Tuesday afternoon in their informal conference meeting that they don't want new rules imposed on surfers, fisherman, kayakers and the like when lifeguards are added to the city's north beach.

The strip of public beach north of Sunrise Boulevard is a haven for seven sports -- surfing, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, diving, snorkeling and windsurfing -- said beach resident Joe Hessman. Dogs also are allowed on the beach at Sunrise Boulevard, during certain hours and with a permit.

"We must keep that open,'' Hessman urged commissioners.

Many beach sports enthusiasts were worried they'd be kicked off the north end of the beach when the city adds lifeguards there. On the city's guarded beaches, swimmers dominate, and most water sports or boat launchings are banned.

Commissioners said Tuesday they don't intend to change the way the north beach is used.

"How many conflicts do we have between swimmers and all these other sports that take place?'' asked Commissioner Christine Teel. "I haven't heard of any.''

Fire official Jeffrey Justinak said he wasn't aware of any accidents.

Commissioners still have to vote in the evening to add the parking meters on the north end of the beach, on State Road A1A, to pay for the lifeguards.

Justinak and City Manager George Gretsas said they'd watch for any logistical problems on the north end.

"If there's a safety issue that comes to light ... we'll bring it to the city manager's attention at that time,'' said Justinak.

At the same meeting, commissioners said they want to hire in-house ocean lifeguards to staff the north end of the beach, as opposed to privatizing the lifeguards.

Mayor Jim Naugle and Teel favored privatizing the work. But a majority said they want to hire additional ocean rescue staff to guard the beach.

Brittany Wallman can be reached at bwallman@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4541. Copyright © 2007, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

As a Lauderdale resident, this is certainly in my self-interest. I won't gloat, I promise! Actually I am not a shore diver, I just enjoy that stretch of beach....

I have to wonder, what is the cost of installing and maintaining the parking meters and ticketing violators in comparison with the amount of funds captured by the meters?

Yaknow, I really don't mind paying to park, as long as they still allow us to have fun diving and kayaking and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom