Free Tank Fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickster:
My belief is air should be free. I can't see paying for it! That is good that Reefseekers is doing free fills. More shops should follow suit. It would be better for the store, as far as bringing more customers in. As far as the chain store vs dive shop, I am all for supporting my dive shop, but, free air vs $5.00 a tank on rental refills? No thanks!

Just my 2 cents.

Rick

Hi Rick-

I happened to catch this thread while I was sifting through a few other forums. I actually offered free airfills in my dive shop for two years. It did not bring in any more business. Weird huh? I really thought it would work. I have been charging for the last 1.5 years and no one stopped coming in because I charge. For my regular customers, they still get airfills for free depending on how much they come in, classes they are particpating in and the purchases they are making on the day they come in. Customers who purchase tanks from me now get a free air fill card, good for 25 free airfill cards. My tanks sales have quadrupled! Perceived value, I guess. I always say I was a consumer before I was a dive store owner, and I have always hated gimmicks. I am a travel agent also and I have always given quotes based on the TOTAL cost, including transfers, taxes, etc. I lost sales doing it that way. People thought I was overcharging! They like to hear $299 for a 3 night vacation, instead of $435.00 with taxes. Here's my favorite example. I get a call for a scuba class price. I give them one price but then they say " but the shop down the street charges $80 less than you, or worse they say thanks and hang up". I now have to get my price out along with a 15-20 second description of what our price includes. The other shop doesn't say you have to purchase their over priced mask, fins, boots ( etc. ), rent the DVD, rent a wetsuit, and oh yeah we need you to buy this logbook, it's mandatory. It drives me nuts. As a consumer give me the Saturn approach, as a retailer, geez, use what works. That's my 2 cents, I like the thread!!!

Ben_ca:
I have to agree with this... Sports Chalet is the Walmart of the dive stores.
I totally disagree. I personally dont like paying 20% more at a dive shop for 2 yr old model equipment. And Costa Mesa does do airfills. Just not excited to carry my pst 120 through the mall!

JB

The brea store is good about fills. I rarely have an issue. I actually get more short fills in laguna at LSS. They dont seem to care much about doing HP fills

Debraw:
Hi Rick-

I happened to catch this thread while I was sifting through a few other forums. I actually offered free airfills in my dive shop for two years. It did not bring in any more business. Weird huh? I really thought it would work. I have been charging for the last 1.5 years and no one stopped coming in because I charge. For my regular customers, they still get airfills for free depending on how much they come in, classes they are particpating in and the purchases they are making on the day they come in. Customers who purchase tanks from me now get a free air fill card, good for 25 free airfill cards. My tanks sales have quadrupled! Perceived value, I guess. I always say I was a consumer before I was a dive store owner, and I have always hated gimmicks. I am a travel agent also and I have always given quotes based on the TOTAL cost, including transfers, taxes, etc. I lost sales doing it that way. People thought I was overcharging! They like to hear $299 for a 3 night vacation, instead of $435.00 with taxes. Here's my favorite example. I get a call for a scuba class price. I give them one price but then they say " but the shop down the street charges $80 less than you, or worse they say thanks and hang up". I now have to get my price out along with a 15-20 second description of what our price includes. The other shop doesn't say you have to purchase their over priced mask, fins, boots ( etc. ), rent the DVD, rent a wetsuit, and oh yeah we need you to buy this logbook, it's mandatory. It drives me nuts. As a consumer give me the Saturn approach, as a retailer, geez, use what works. That's my 2 cents, I like the thread!!!

what you may want to do when someone calls and ask's"how much for ow course" first ask them their name,then explain that there are many variables/schedules and the best way is to come in to the store and YOU(make it personal) will give them a free rundown that may take 15-20 min , so that you can serve them the way they need to be..this way you get them in the store and now you are more than 1/2 way there to signing them up..Actually make a appointment/set a day -time ,for them to see YOU-people,if sincere and really want to learn,will keep this appointment and you will know you have someone who is not just"looking around"..Make sure you keep the set appointment yourself!

Free air fills? Air isn't free by a long shot. Factor in you also pay for someone to fill the tanks, someone to do maintenance and of course the 20K to buy the system to start with. If you factor in the real costs of filling air it runs closer to 5 bucks a tank. Of cousre we don't live in a resort area so we aren't filling dozens of tanks a day either.

double80s:
Sports Chalet in the Beverly Connection (La Cienega/3rd St.) gives free fills to compete with the Reef Seekers policy of free air.

Yes, this is definitely the case. Or at least was the last time I went there.

MaxBottomtime:
I worked at Marina Dive and Sport in San Pedro for a lot of years. By far, the number one complaint I heard about other shops was short fills. It amazes me how something as simple as giving a slow, full fill will not only ensure repeat business but word of mouth business as well. Some shops just don't get it.

Agreed, it's like playing the lottery

*all I want is 3400 PSI of 32% Nitrox every time, how can that be so hard?*
But Nooooo, it has to be like playing the lottery

- Either a shamefaced look, THREE days later, "Oops we didn't fill the tanks yet"
- OR same, but "ah, these need to be topped off"
- or 2200 PSI of 37%
- or "we're not filling nitrox today"

Really irritating but since my homeowners wont let me keep pure O2 ...

Debraw:
Hi Rick-

I happened to catch this thread while I was sifting through a few other forums. I actually offered free airfills in my dive shop for two years. It did not bring in any more business. Weird huh? ....

I actually have NO PROBLEM paying a reasonable fee to fet a fill (right now aroung $2 for air and $8 for nitrox).

*IF* I get a good fill. Right now I waste plenty of time trying to get tanks topped off, or come back or accepting poor fills.

MaxBottomtime:
I worked at Marina Dive and Sport in San Pedro for a lot of years. By far, the number one complaint I heard about other shops was short fills. It amazes me how something as simple as giving a slow, full fill will not only ensure repeat business but word of mouth business as well. Some shops just don't get it.

Also, slow fills give the diver time to look around the shop and pick up must-haves, gifts, and gift cards.

If you are anywhere close, come see me at my shop. I'll give you a good fill, correct nitrox blends up to 40% while you wait, and can handle HP tanks.

First ten people in before Christmas to quote my current sig line get a free air card. Anyone quoting it through New Yeas Eve gets 15% off most items.

Aloha Dive Simi Valley
3885 Cochran Unit K
Simi Valley, CA 93063
805-581-DIVE (3483)

Ask for TJ!

Back
Top Bottom