Freedive vs. Scuba gear modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

California Diver:
how deep is deep for freedivers?

how deep is deep for a scuba diver? if you ask a GUE tech 3 you'll get once answer. you ask some rookie "got cert'd in an afternoon" you'll get a far different one :D

most recreational freedivers I have met tend to stay above 100ft, most above 60ft. enviromenta conditions like cold water, current, and water clarity will all reflect on how deep you are comfortable diving. I'll freedive to the 120ft range on a really good day in clear water. toss a speargun in the mix and it;s 100ft max. stick me up here on the northcoast, and knock 20-30ft off both of those #'s.

"how deep do I personally feel comfortable diving" is the only question you should ever ask in relation to depth.

good luck.

Hey California Diver.. How deep do you think is "deep" for a freediver? Have you ever gave it a go or had a freediver come down cruise with you while you were at the bottom?

i`d say depends on the water temp.. you dive in cold water you wear a thicker suit which loses lots of buoyancy,you need a powerful fin to gett you off the bottom. warmer water when 3/2mm suits are worn, it isn`t as much of an issue, but i`d still choose fins carefully.. mares avanti quattros aren`t a bad 'double up' fin.. i use them for underwater hockey, they`re powerful - not as powerful as a long fin, but not as hopelessly powerless as a split fin...i like using longfins for scuba anyway so i`d reccommend them.. imo OMER make the best all round long fins :)

deep for a freediver with a sled and a lift bag is 170ish metres. deep for a freediver with a paris of fins and a mask is 80ish .. deep is a word that is different for everybody, freediving is all about defining your own limits.. for the average person, swimming to the bottom of the swimming pool and feeling their ears squeeze is deep.. for me, a 35m diver - anything deeper than that is deep..

Back
Top Bottom