Freedivers at 105 Ft Were Inspirational....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pictures, as usual Catherine. I can't believe you're diving with no wetsuit....assuming that picture of you is current and in Hawaii. And this time of year? I used to hate jumping in on those Kona days with steam coming off the river at Kahili over on Kauai. It's COLD!! ha.

1) Never ceases to amaze me the assumptions bubble blowers make about freediving - I teach it, I live it, I shoot video while freediving.
>>>>I think I understand you a purest! And good for you! There has been a proliferation of Free Divers/spearfishermen and late model tube sucking bubble blower with in the past 10 years. It is refreshing that some one has reverted to the roots of the sport and is doing well, a later day Gilpatric!

2) When the day is done, you have no deco, noheadaches of rinsing gear, etc.

>>>You have "no deco" that is interesting! All that research by E.R on Taravana. I would stronly suggest that you research ER Cross and Taravana before making such a rash statement.
And of course we do not want to forget ABN...the jury is still out--is it the number of repetitive compressions/recompressions? or is it associted with only depth? You also might want to research ABN...
Both have been around for the last 40 +years yet apparently the word has not reached the hinterlands.

Eventually other aspects of Free dving will catch up with you--hearing, specificlly hearing loss, is a big one for the freedivers in their dotage

Freediving is truly freedom, but not for the current crop of poster children that the dive industry represents after what I witnessed at DEMA. If you don't train regularly, forget it.

I hope you are not adressing me, for I Agree! 110% Frightening!!!!
Diving has become so equipment dependant to the point that it has attracted a marshmallow following--thank goodness there are a few who are free divers...who are water orientated every day of the year, and not while on a one week vacation.

Q--Have you checked out the "Fathers of free diving and Spearfishing?" There are only about 80 idenified in the world so the list is short... Or read the acknowledgement to Terry Maas's "Freedive." Recognize any familar names?

Cheers from California where it all began..

sdm

I'm not a freediver, just trying to understand something here...

Some of you comparing freediving and SCUBA pricing are including spearguns with the freediving stuff, but not SCUBA?

Can you not freedive without a gun? Can you not hunt with a gun while on SCUBA? :p

I came here for the pics, they were great :D

yea...we freedove to 20 ft today without a speargun.

We put the turkey in and took off to the bay, with the pooch. We hope he can call the coast guard if the boat drifts.

collage3-3.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC_0047-2.jpg

DSC_0073-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Catherine

I really enjoyed the photos and I am in particular really interested in the setup for for dive flag mountings on the antenna. Would you be willing to post some details as to how it was done? Thanks.

Tommed

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm not a freediver, just trying to understand something here...

Some of you comparing freediving and SCUBA pricing are including spearguns with the freediving stuff, but not SCUBA?

Can you not freedive without a gun? Can you not hunt with a gun while on SCUBA?
Freediving without a gun is done all the time. Hunting with scuba is hardly sporting in the eyes of most freedivers.

Tommed:
Catherine

I really enjoyed the photos and I am in particular really interested in the setup for for dive flag mountings on the antenna. Would you be willing to post some details as to how it was done? Thanks.

Tommed

I am LAUGHING! because RockJock of Oahu is mr-do-it-yourselfer and it took him like two seconds to come up with that.

That is our VHF antenae....We put zip ties tightly on the antenae with bolt clamp (like a two way, but with one clip) attached.

Then the clip end attaches to our dive flag grommet.

I will take a close up if this is unclear. basically, the zip tie and the clip stays on the antenae and we lower the antenae via a release latch and clip the bolt clamp throught the flags once we arrive at the site and then swivel the antenae "flag pole" back up.

Its nice and high so very visible.
(thanks Rockjock)

Eric's F1 computer is a sweet rig - we ran into each other at DEMA - former WR holder in CB when he hit 82 meters in the Cold Canadian waters near Vancouver. 2-3 years ago I believe.

Sam - I consider a speargun outside of the typical core gear for freediving - yeah - you can spend alot on guns and have seen too many freedivers spend money unneccessarily.

I use to freedive with a guy up here in Oregon whom I called "The Great White Hunter" - he would knock 'em dead with a cheapo pole spear - That is what I consider minimalist - and we always had nummy fish taco's after the fact.

Just as anything else - one can go to extremes - but if you price out a decent outfit - you'll find that freediving is much less expensive in relation to scuba.

Example Freedive equipment list from DiveINN:
  • Cressi Minima Mask - $25.03
  • Sporasub Samourai Snorkel - $11.36
  • Cressi Gara 3000HF Fins - $91.45
  • Cressi World Competition 7MM freedive suit - $180.75
  • Cressi Socks Metallite 5MM socks - $15.14
  • Cressi Gloves 5 MM Ultrastretch Gloves- $20.82
  • Cressi Elastic Belt Inox Buckle - $20.56

All total: $356.11 (Less shipping)

This is a very respectable setup - I would dive this in a heartbeat and I would recommend it to anyone asking me for advice on freedive equipment.

You can't touch a decent quality scuba wetsuit for this amount of money these days - and that being one not created for a rental dept - Sure, you can add a Suunto D3 or whatever, but still comes in less than a lower end reg setup with a dive computer.

Add a rubbermaid tote or a dive bag - and a few weights as needed - this is still way under what the entry fee is for scuba - and this is all gear that the diver owns - not renting.

And freediving provides better skills in the water than scuba alone does - if you are a competent freediver - scuba is cake.

And to all who think diving to 100' is something to attain - reality is, it's 100 feet - unless you have a reason to be there - the diving is as good typically at 10-15 meters as compared to 30+ meters. And you'll get longer bottom times at the shallower depths.

OK, so it sounds like hardly any negative things were pointed out about freediving...So everyone should try freediving a bit! All I know is that at least I can dive 6 - 8hrs a day, instead of limiting myself to two dives of 30 min. - 1hr. Derek and I would be glad to help anyone with it. I never gave much thought to how to train someone to freedive, but I'm definitely thinking about it now...

Catherine, good on ya' for doing a dedicated freedive. I look forward to doing pure freediving with you and Jim. It might take a few months to reach the level of me and Derek, but it's definitely possible to reach our level at a much more accelerated rate than we needed to figure it out on our own, with some guidance.

Kurt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom