Freediving Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pre BC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know where I can find a new black Sphera mask? They have been discontinued in the US and I would like to grab one or two before they are all gone.

Unfortunately, my Google searches have come up empty.

Thanks in advance!

P

Last edited:
DiveBee:

I've tried several alternative low volume masks and for whatever reason I love the Sphera (probably for the same irrational reason my wife loves me... looks, familiarity, comfort !?!).

By the way, great boat! I am going to start a new thread asking for advice on freediving friendly charters. Perhaps you can chime in on that one too! Once I find my new black skirted Sphera mask, I will look into booking a freedive trip with you...

P

I bought one at the end of 2008 when I qualified in Thailand. I wasn't aware that it was being discontinued at the time :depressed: but they ordered one in for me for their suppliers. From that i'm assuming that they're still available in that part of the world.

Try contact the guys at Crystal Dive Resort they may be able to point you in the right direction.

I am pretty sure they discontinued manufacturing the sphera within the last year. I have a couple of friends that orded a whole bunch of them when they heard this.

You might try the technisub micromask. Everyone that I know that has tried it loves it. It would be my primary mask if it fit me better.

My personal addiction is freedive spearfishing :) so i run both scuba and freediving trips. Get in touch if you are in the area

I have tried both Sphera and Techinsub Marina (Micro-Mask), but they don't fit my face right. And Sphera plastic lenses gets scratched too easily.

Hey, Pre-BC

Oceanobsessed is right- US Divers/Aquaspshere has completely stopped production of the Sphera. It's one of the great freediving masks because it's compressibility makes equalizing easy when you're going down fast. It's also great for underwater hockey since you have great peripheral vision, even if it's a bit distorted. You have to keep it in its case when you're now wearing it if you want the lenses to stay unscratched. The mask is very popular in Europe, and divers there are vacuuming up the supply so they won't be caught out.

Have look here:

Actually the weird forum software keeps telling me I can't post URLs. I'll email the address to you. to foil the software, though, you can enter this address manually:

www "dot" aqua-gear "dot" com/SnorkelGearSnorkelingMasks_c.html, and you'll see the dorky clear skirt with blue plastic frame model for $40.95.

They were selling last fall on Amazon for $28.95, but have become so rare that the price keeps going up- Amazon jacked them up to $34.95, and now they're asking $45.95. Anyhow, they're going fast, so you better act now. I was able to grab 2 of the black-skirted model in Feb. but looking around now- nobody has the black model left. I got mine for $28.95 from Swim2000 "dot" com, but they're now completely sold out of both the black & clear models.

Also, look on eBay- they come up for sale there sometimes- even black ones.

Steve

SRoss:

Thank you for the great advice. The online store you mentioned only had the clear/blue. But, I followed your advice and found a black sphera mask on EBay!

Thank you!

P

There seems to be a small cache of Sphera masks on Amazon.com at the moment.

Now the question is: How many is one person allowed to own before it is considered an obsession?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom