Vessel French divers rescued after boat escapes - Thailand

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999

Four French divers, who found themselves stranded overnight on an island off Sattahip in Chon Buri, were successfully rescued yesterday. Their vessel had unexpectedly become detached from its mooring and drifted away while they were diving near Koh Manwichai.

The divers, identified as 38 year old Andrien, 47 year old Medhi, 30 year old Vincent, aged 30, and 32 year old Stefan, had hired a boat from Jomtien Beach on Wednesday, May 1. Alarmingly, the rented vessel was spotted floating unmanned off Koh Sichang yesterday.

Concerns about the divers’ whereabouts were heightened when a Facebook user Tai Ek, shared an image of the unmanned boat with a plea for help. Tai Ek’s post read: “Friends, please help share. This boat left Na Jomtien beach about 7-8am today and has not yet returned to shore. Four people who went with the boat could not be reached. Anyone who finds them, kindly please contact me.”

The vessel was later discovered approximately 11 nautical miles off Koh Sichang in the Sri Racha district of Chon Buri. This discovery led the tourist police and rescue workers to initiate an immediate search operation.

The four French nationals were eventually located on Manwichai Island, approximately 15 nautical miles offshore from tambon Bang Saray in the Sattahip district. They were safely transported to Bang Saray beach around noon, with no injuries reported.

Upon debriefing, the group explained to Pattaya Tourist Police that they had anchored their boat at Koh Manwichai for a dive on Wednesday. Upon resurfacing, they found their boat had drifted away, leaving them stranded on the island overnight. They were only able to signal for help when they spotted a rescue boat yesterday morning.

Unattended vessel while diving. What could possibly go wrong?

Especially when one is too optimistic. I have left mine unattended, but I wouldn't do that with a rented boat, too many unknowns.
In my opinion, it’s always irresponsible to leave a boat unattended at the surface while diving, regardless of one’s demeanor (at least in open water). However, you do you as it’s your life that you’re endangering.

I used to leave my boat unattended regularly but I made proper preps. First thing was, we always filed a flight plan with somebody responsible. We always followed the anchor line down and made sure the anchor was securely dug in. We always tossed a drag line over the stern to drift down current. A hundred yards of bright yellow ski line (because it floats) with bleach bottles tied on it every fifty feet in case we missed the boat. We did that even if somebody was left in the boat. And, I always took the boat keys with me on the dive. (But don't do that if you leave somebody in the boat to come get you)

Unattended vessel while diving. What could possibly go wrong?
Early in my diving career, I was invited by my dive buddy (I then learned why he went through so many) to dive from his boat that would be unattended, in the middle of Puget Sound (closest to Whidbey Island) in winter in subzero temperatures. I thankfully backed out as I was simply not comfortable with this idea. We had dived off his boat unattended, but right off shore, so the worst thing was a 100 yard swim.

But the middle of Puget Sound? In winter? Cold temperatures? Dry suit or not, that's hypothermia if we don't get help fast, possibly fatal.

The crazy thing is, he never spoke to me again after that. I'd say I dodged a bullet.

Back
Top Bottom