Fresh or Salt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lone Frogman:
Do you dive more in freshwater or saltwater? What do you prefer?

Salt...Always salt...

More in fresh but salt is usually warmer when I dive it. Don't really like the burning sensation in my eyes.

Mostly salt, if the weather conditions or seas are tough I'll go fresh. So ~80% salt 20% fresh

200 year old wreck in the great lakes = a wreck that looks as it did the day it went down

200 year old wreck anywhere in the worlds oceans = a pile of ballast stones and a couple pieces of steel, if you're lucky

Fresh all the way. It is assumed 10,000 wrecks have gone down on the great lakes with an estimated 6,000 never recovered. How could you get bored of this? Yes unfortunately most everything is now covered in Zebras, but in most the lakes you're looking at 30 ft vis or better thanks to the sharp little suckers. I realize I'm biased because I live on the great lakes, but my favorite part of diving is wrecks and the history that surrounds them. Marine life is nice, but much further down on my list of reasons to dive.

Just one newbies opinion :D

It would seem this last comment won the argument. Was looking forward to this debate thread.

In both, at the same time! Murky fresh water for the first 30-50 feet and saltwater for the rest. The joys of diving the Saguenay.

As to which I perfer, hmmmmm......
Fresh water- close to home (within 1 1/2 hrs drive- could be 15 min. but I refuse to dive the Ohio river) but not as many things to see and the water below the thermoclines is,.... shall we say, refreshingly cool (more like freeze your buns off cold). Everyting including the fish & moss are a drab grey or green.

Salt water- more interesting things to see, more colors & you can't beat the beauty of some of the coral formations. Personally I like warm & toasty water. However the closest salt water to me is about an 8- 10 hr drive.

i rather dive salt water because you cant play with lobsters in fresh water. pluse there is so much more to see and you cant beat the vis. fresh water i always find realy dark and merky.

I can't really say I like diving fresh water but that's probably because I live in the tropics and there are too many micro-organisms living in still fresh water. Seems every dive leaves you with an infection - mostly in the ears. Something I've never had in salt water.

There are a few exceptional sites but in general they are at or very close to the source of a river where the water comes up filtered and clean and there is a reasonable flow.

Back
Top Bottom