Fresh-water diving in S. Cal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it (perris lake water) even stained my girlfriends white bathing suit a weird color of green....It would be awesome if they opened up Diamond Valley Lake with depths of over 300 feet and 50+ foot visibility, but for now its just for fishing a...Ive had 40 foot vis in Lake Havasu in the summer when its at its worse, so i dont know why lake perris has such a problem....

50+ of Vis at Diamond Valley? that would be sweet... now how do we get that lake open to diving...

what was the vis at 60 feet
I didn't have a light with me, so all can say is that the viz was very dark! But thinking back, it must have been decent as even in the dark I could make out the undulating mud floor. That's got to be the shallowest I've ever been narced; either that, or the cold froze my brain into playing tricks on me - I could swear I saw stuff, big stuff, moving around down there. Besides the cold, that's another reason I decided to hightail it back to shore and not push forward.

I think there were some big rocks at some point that were a definite contrast to the endless mud. Honestly it was almost 10 years ago since my last dive there and nowadays I feel fortunate I wake up still remembering my name let alone anything else. Maybe I'll repeat the dive someday when I'm really bored, but I'd do it in a drysuit and with lights next time.

Most lakes here are man made and are reservoirs and i have worked on some. The few i have worked on have effluent pipes at different elevations to manage oxygen levels in the water , the army corp of engineers can open these as they see fit. Although these have trash screens attached to them i would be cautious about diving and get permission first.

Last edited:
checking viz.jpg

This is how you check viz in local lakes right now

And how is it under there?

I dont know how to get some of these reservoir open...as a kid (20-25 years ago) i would sneak onto lake mathews in riverside county to fish at night and sometimes day and the vis as over 40 feet at all times...My father told me stories that divers who worked there saw cat fish with eyes as far apart as volkswagon headlights and Ive pulled 20 lbs catfish and 10 lbs trout. I have thought about sneaking out there again but dont see a good way out with all the dive gear. I bet theres some amazing sites.

Back
Top Bottom