fresh water lead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NP there.

We never got taught weighting in open water. Matter of fact they seriously and dangerously overweighted me in the open waters. Only the bouyancy specialty is what I understand to teach weighting in PADI.

If you get the chance mess around in a shallow area with weighting and see if you can descend easily without havig to swim face downward. Air removed from BC and lungs. You don't want to sink like a rock. If you go down face first fluid collects in your head possibly causing sinus and ear problems and equalization problems. That they taught us in Rescue.

Take care there.

KelpCoasters:
Oh, I'm sure it was covered. To be honest I don't remember; do you? Perhaps you could enlighten me. If I remember correctly, it was an OPEN WATER course....

I only dive in cold water so the weight difference between 12mil of neoprene vs. the 3mil in a pool is significant.

I'm looking for a general rule... like a percentage of my body weight maybe.

Thanks anyhow.

As a matter of fact I do remember, I also have my OW book somewhere nearby as a reference. Do you?

Anyways, it would seem you have plenty of good answers. Best of luck!

I have my open water logs and eventhough weighting was covered a bit we had understood that it takes many dives to fine tune weighting and there was no real hard number for how much weight to drop going to fresh water. I also dropped weight little by little as my experience increased. Its a matter of gear used and body type and those change. It looks like this guy want's some hard numbers so he isn't screwing around too much at the start of thier dive. I hate when that happens especially in the heat or freezing cold.

Back
Top Bottom