Freshly Minted Reluctant Cold Water Diver Saying Hi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lifebythemile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I think it’s time I probably should post one of these. I’ve wanted to dive for a long time but have never been a fan of aquatic life (sea lions notwithstanding). I did a Discover dive in Malta last month (Feb 2024) that included a trip to a shallow WWII wreck which got me hooked. Nice, warm (for me) water and endless visibility. Everyone kept telling me how spoiled I was for my first dives.

Coming from a world of sport and sport-adjacent motorcycles I think has really help in staying calm when in uncomfortable and unfamiliar environments and handling situations. I can already feel my wallet crying trying to support both hobbies in tandem. I’m sure this experience really came in handy during my discover program when my instructor had me do an unplanned regulator recovery drill when I got too close to their fin. We had a good laugh over that when we got back to the truck.

I just did my OW + DS back home in Vancouver and now I understand everyone’s comments. Certification dives were in 7*C water and under 10ft of visibility. It didn’t exactly encourage me to keep diving locally but I need to in order to keep the reps up, gain experience, and stay fresh for when I travel. Needless to say my heart lies in warmer waters.

My interest lies in exploring wrecks and other submerged objects rather than marine life, though I do know the two go hand-in-hand. As a result I am fully aware that I have a rather expensive journey ahead, and one that is just beginning. Unfortunately it’s also a solo journey for me as my other half does not share the same passion for exploring the underwater world.

Welcome. What a great first post! I also have to dive local cold water to stay current. I sold off gear from my earlier expensive hobbies to pay for this one. Marine life attracts me more than any other aspect of diving. Crazy how different people are.

Welcome! I am down in Bellingham and exploring undocumented wrecks. Give a yell if you want to come down and check it out.

There is a lot of great diving in the Vancouver, BC area. Get a good drysuit and drygloves and you will be fine.

Here in NS you can have zero viz of course but on occasion close to 40 feet. All depends.

Here in NS you can have zero viz of course but on occasion close to 40 feet. All depends.
I know I just had bad luck with that day. We had a wind storm roll through the day before that was strong enough to cancel some of our coastal ferries so I knew visibility was going to be garbage going into the day. I’ve been told it’s usually much better here during winter months.

There is a lot of great wreck diving in the Vancouver area and the Great Lakes have the best fresh water wreck diving in the world.

As a result I am fully aware that I have a rather expensive journey ahead, and one that is just beginning. Unfortunately it’s also a solo journey for me as my other half does not share the same passion for exploring the underwater world.
Sounds like you may be inline for a Solo certification!

where do you dive in bellingham?
All over.

There are three wrecks in Lake Whatcom, one of which is a good dive.

I found an uncharted wreck in the bay just north of Boulevard Park and dived it last fall. I need to go back and take measurements off of it sometime before the alge bloom.

I found another, smaller, one mear the GP dock over the winter and plan to dive it as soon as the rain stops.

Chuckanut Island has some nice diving, and the area along Clarks Point south of town is supposed to be a good wall dive to 60 FSW. There is also a probable wreck on the southeast side of Lummi Island that is on my list. I mostly dive off my 10' RIB or shore dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom