Friend can't equalize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend wants to start SCUBA certification but said that on a beginner non certified dive he did last year he couldn't equalize and had to stay very shallow. Is there a chance he biologically can't equalize his ears or is it probably just a lack of training?
We all can equalize. But on the day to day basis it is a slow continuous adjustment that happens without conscious thought or realization. Occasionally we notice, when there is a more sudden change in pressure, going up a mountain or plane flight, or if we are congested.

When scuba diving, the pressure changes occur much more quickly and it requires more of a conscious effort for most of us. And for some it is easier then for others. A problem can be structural, congestion or skill.

The skills for equalization are well covered here and in posted links. For physiological concerns, as others have suggested, practice the skills on land and clear early and often. Another option if there is any congestion is a decongestant, orally or spray. If allergies may be an issue, the addition of a non-sedating antihistamine orally or nasal spray, or a steroid nasal spray (this last choice is only good for more long term use. It doesn't have the quick onset of action needed if used only predive).

And as you know, diving, the greatest pressure changes occur in the first 20 feet or so. Unfortunately this is the depth that new students spend a lot of time at and it can be very discouraging initial. Counsel your friend to patience and persistence and make sure the instructor knows their concerns.

Would a dive shop refund the course fee if it was found that he couldn't dive safely because of his ears?
My experience is limited, but I don't know anyone that wasn't able to equalize well enough to pass a class if the student and the instructor are patient and willing to work with the issue.

I've even heard many instructors say things like "be prepared to equalize if you need to when descending" as they briefed students.

Better: "Be prepared to equalize before you need to when descending."

I started chiming in when DMing those classes - in a good natured way - to remind the students that the laws of physics "will absolutely be in effect on this dive" and that there will be no "if" involved with anything associated with depth/pressure relationships:
- you WILL need to add air to your BCD when descending
- you WILL need to vent when ascending
Too many instructors are imprecise with their wording, not realizing that the students - who reasonably assume we know what we're talking about - will take us at our word. Even if we choose the wrong ones.
Id be the cheeky sod saying --WHY?

Have to agree and disagree with some of the above and also get back to the OP.

Equalization, for most people, is not difficult; moreover, the Valsalva manoeuvre, which sounds a bit technical but is just the basic "pinching your nose and blowing against it" works just fine for the majority of divers. It can be aided by the Frentzel manoeuvre, which is swallowing, and it can be further aided by pinching and blowing, swallowing, and wiggling your head back and forth, and I don't know what that manoeuvre is called but it works.

Equalizing on the surface is a good guess - but it's only really relevant if somebody has a problem equalizing at the surface because - well - you're almost equalized anyway. During every beginner dive I've ever taught I asked people to try and "pop" their ears during the briefing but that does not guarantee that there will be no problems underwater, and failure to pop at the surface does not mean that there really will be a problem under water, but it's a good guideline for instructors and divemasters to follow - if a person has a problem at the surface, then we need to pay more attention to them underwater.

Slow practice, step by step, with a super slow descent, equalizing every few centimetres will help. Most people who have problems with equalization simply do not make efficient use of the technique, or don't really understand what's involved no matter how well it's taught - but once they get it right then the lights come on and it's quite simple after that.

There are some physiological reasons which prevent people from equalizing. Again, they are mostly straightforward blockages due to congestion - which is a term that is also misunderstood. Most people would automatically associate the term "congestion" with the symptoms of the common cold and this is true - but even after the symptoms of the cold have faded, plenty of gunk can remain in the sinuses. You might be able to breathe just fine through your nose and mouth, but that does not mean that all the tubes are cleared. The person may have had a nosebleed recently meaning there is clotted blood hanging around, or an infection, or other stuff that is not completely blocking the airways at surface pressure, but may impede airflow very rapidly at even the shallowest of depths if not properly equalized. All sorts of stuff grows or gets stuck in the nasal passage and sinuses without us even knowing it's there.

There are also physiological deformations of the palette, septum and Eustachian tube which go un-noticed on land but become problematic underwater. They are not common, but they are not rare, either. Other people have stated that equalization was perhaps not taught correctly and this is entirely possible but in my opinion unlikely, because as instructors we rely on people having a good time underwater in order to keep the business going and not, for example, trying to get them to enjoy the underwater world in perpetual agony. It is true, however, that many instructors do not necessarily understand all the various possibilities that may preclude a person from successful equalization.

If, after exhausting all possibilities, a student diver is unable to equalize then it may well be that there is a physiological problem which needs medical or surgical attention if the person wishes to continue to dive. A dive centre that will not refund a student in lieu of this should, in my opinion, be struck off the register. I've dealt with a fair few cases over my time as an instructor and I have endeavoured to give the customer the best possible experience that they can have given the circumstances, refused to continue training until the problem is resolved, and in every case I have consulted with my manager if necessary and refunded course fees as appropriate. Every student diver has the right to discuss what happens in different circumstances in advance of payment.

It's a problem with a lot of questions and a lot of answers and it is often the case that neither are correct. I hope this post has helped somewhat.

Cheers

C.

Crowley
you make some good points but are wrong about Frenzel - it is NOT swallowing. Indeed if you were to swallow while trying to Frenzel then it just would not work. Frenzel involves closing your epiglottis (top of your throat) to stop air going back down to your lungs, pancaking your tongue against the top of your mouth behind your teeth, then using your tongue to push air back and create pressure through to your Eustachian tubes. It is simpler to do in real life than it sounds in the description I just gave but hopefully it makes sense.

Valsalva is not "aided" by Frenzel - they are different. The difference is more important to Freedivers than it is to SCUBA divers. Valsalva will get most people to a max of about 20m / 66ft when Freediving while Frenzel will get most to around 35m /115ft.

Depends on the shop or instructor. It's one of the reasons I like to do an intro in the pool and spend a lot of time on equalization techniques and making sure people can do it. IF they can and want to continue the cost of the Intro is deducted from the class price. If they can't or for some other reason decide that diving is not for them, they are only out the intro cost.
Good advice and fair policy Jim

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I have to disagree with the statement that everyone can equalize. I had major problems equalizing and was into the ENT after every dive trip. Finally, I saw Dr. Brian Weeks in San Diego who checked me out and found: two major bone spurs that were blocking breathing through my left nostril and almost blocked the right nostril, major deviated septum, left over adenoid tissue from the T&A I had as a kid, and finally problems with the eustachian tube. The Eustachian tube was handled by an off label procedure know as balloon dilation of Eustachian tube. He also reduced the inferior turbinates which helped a lot with my severe allergies. The rest was the in plan surgery. After recovery from the surgery, I am able to clear my ears on multiple dives and diving multiple days in a row. I could not do that before surgery. Dr. Weeks is the major person on the west coast doing the balloon dilation thing which is now in clinical trial. If you are on the west coast, see Dr. Weeks in San Diego.

After recovery from the surgery, I am able to clear my ears on multiple dives and diving multiple days in a row.

See... everyone can equalize.

:D

Best regards - Ray

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom