From Quattros...Atomics, Jets and Turtles...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudDog:
As an aside question...can anyone say if the Atomic Split Fins are stiffer than the Bio Fins or how they compare...any preferences?

The Atomic split fins are much more stiffer than Biofins.
Atomics feel closer to traditional fins because of the stiffness, and thus give better fine control.

If you mainly use flutter kicks, I'd say stick to the newer fins. The Jets are outstanding for frog kicks, backward kicks, etc. but do require more effort than split fins, quattros, etc. when doing flutter kicks.

paulwlee:
Atomics feel closer to traditional fins because of the stiffness, and thus give better fine control.

If you mainly use flutter kicks, I'd say stick to the newer fins. The Jets are outstanding for frog kicks, backward kicks, etc. but do require more effort than split fins, quattros, etc. when doing flutter kicks.
Agree 100% about the Apolo and the atomic fins for whats its worth, and I generally use force fins now for some reason??

paulwlee:

So do you find the Atomics to be sort of the best of both worlds? Being stiffer, can one still manage frog kicks and backward kicks?
Out of curiosity, how are surface swims in Atomics...I know my Quattros after a while weren't as pleasant as some of my friend's splits seemed to be (during surface swims).

Bob -- I would be interested in hearing about this as well. I use XL jets with wetsuit booties (size 13). Just ordered a new drysuit with size 13 rockboots......I'm assuming I'll have to move up to the XXLs, but would be interested in hearing the turtles vs. XXL jet comparison info.

-Chris

I don't dive dry but have a pair of Quattros for years. I won a pair of Atomic Split fins last year. On my first dive outing with the new fins I found I couldn't put my bootie into the fin pocket. So back to the Quattros. Later with the proper bootie I dove the splits a couple of times, they felt no different to me and so now they hang in their plastic bag on the garage wall. Maybe I'll try them again this year but for now I'm staying with the Quattro. :54:

MudDog:
As an aside question...can anyone say if the Atomic Split Fins are stiffer than the Bio Fins or how they compare...any preferences?

The AA fins are a good bit stiffer than the Bio fins. Which is better is a matter of taste. I like my AA fins, the less stiff Bio fins are my wife's choice.

I find the AA fins to be less effort than the Quattros with about the same maximum speed. When I'm not diving dry, I usually prefer long blade full-foot freediving fins.

Ralph

AquaCat:
So do you find the Atomics to be sort of the best of both worlds? Being stiffer, can one still manage frog kicks and backward kicks?
Out of curiosity, how are surface swims in Atomics...I know my Quattros after a while weren't as pleasant as some of my friend's splits seemed to be (during surface swims).

The Atomics work OK for the frog kick but backward kicks are a lot less efficient than with something like the Jets. It does work, though.

It works great in surface swims, although I don't know how it would compare to Quattros.

XXL jets are a much taller boot. Turtles are wider. I wear size 12 trek boots, and when I saw the XXL jets, I laughed. They're monstrous. My turtles are paid for and on the way.

That said, turtles are quite wide, and I may be tweaking the footpocket. Height and depth were perfect though.

AquaCat:
I have both the Atomics and the Turtles and agree 100% with Paulwlee:
The Atomics work OK for the frog kick but backward kicks are a lot less efficient than with something like the Jets. It does work, though.
It works great in surface swims, although I don't know how it would compare to Quattros.

Two other things I learned on 2 dives with UnclePug:
1) Duck tape does not improve split fin performance.
2) Atomics do not allow you to carry water to the truck in the foot holes.

Back
Top Bottom