From Rodales (Manufacturer response - Diver's Union - TUSA and Aqualung!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can expect to get called on them.

Exactly how would it "increase the cost of equipment"?

From your LDS, that is.

(We already know we can buy the gear from LP - it might increase THEIR prices a bit, but I doubt it would by much!)

****Huge sigh of relief****

Thats more like it boys, back to some hard core, scuba related debates, Id just aboout had enough of that International Conflict / Political crap.:wink:

C'mon in the water's fine and there are only three or four bull sharks down here for 'ya :wink:

snuggle once bubbled...
i see that genesis is at it again..always wanting something for nothing..your so full of it its not funny..hope ya have lots of *ss paper..
Very insightful comment :rolleyes:

Hope you didn't have to think too long and hard before writing it.

Darryl

With certain exceptions primarily related to antitrust, manufacturer's have the right, as a matter of law, to determine the means by which their products enter the market and how they are distributed.

In many instances, so-called "gray market" sales can be enjoined under the Lanham Act, which protects manufacturer's marks, particularly when the sales involve the contractually prohibited sale of goods intended for sale outside of the U.S. within the U.S. Thus, a manufacturer may ask U.S. Customs to seize and, in certain circumstances, destroy goods shipped to the States by a foreign distributor who is contractually prohibited from distributing in the United States.

Bear in mind that distribution agreements are contracts. Manufacturers have the right to grant exclusive distribution territories and to enforce them. This includes a prohibition on mail order or internet sales. The purpose of this is to maintain the exclusive territories conferred to the dealers.

Finally, manufacturers have the right to enforce contractual limitations on the type of sales that will be permitted, i.e., to end users only. In other words, a manufacturer can absolutely decide whether it wants its dealers reselling to other dealers or to non-dealers who intend to resell the product on a commercial level.

By way of example, if my LDS' dealer contract prohibits them from reselling to other dealers or to other entities who are engaged in the business of selling dive gear, then they cannot order Apeks regs and resell them to other Apeks dealers or to non-Apeks dive shops. It doesn't matter whether the buyer is another brick and mortar shop or LP.

This body of law is certainly not specific to the dive industry. I'm regularly shutting down gray market imports of goods ranging from dental restoration products to foreign film DVD's.

So precisely what are the manufacturers doing wrong?

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
With certain exceptions primarily related to antitrust, manufacturer's have the right, as a matter of law, to determine the means by which their products enter the market and how they are distributed.
snipped

Very informative post. Thank you

MD

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
So precisely what are the manufacturers doing wrong?

Can all the attorneys comment on this part of his argument? I didn't think price-fixing per se was in and of itself illegal. Am I wrong?

From diversunion.org

The use of pricing policies that punish dealers for discounting, whether implicitly or explicitly, is wrong and unacceptable. Additionally, policies that prohibit sales via means other than face-to-face contact punish consumers for shopping for the best overall value, to the detriment of the dive community as a whole. Dealers should be able to set their own prices for the products in their shop without fear of retaliation by manufacturers or distributors, and should be able to sell to all who desire to buy

He isn't claiming they are breaking the law, which to me is a BIG indicator...

I have a couple of questions?

What other products are out there that can not be sold via web or phone with full Mfg warr and backing as long as you buy from a auth dealer? What other MFG's fobid the sale of products unless there sold in-store?

I can understand concerns about non-authrised dealers/distributers and out of market grey items but why must I as a consumer have to drive to a store in this day and age to buy a product regardless of the price. What is it that makes it technicaly impossible to have an internet based form that requires you to list your cert agency and number as well as a disclaimer to cover liability. If the agencys make it aval they could provide an online secure dbase to varify the info. I could order a car online which requires a license and registration to operate it then have it shiped to the nearest dealer and make arangements for that dealer to deliver the car to my house if I was willing to pay for the service. I couldn't do that with scuba eq no mater how much I paid for it due to the dealer agreements that the Mfg's require. The only time I've ever been asked for a C-card is for an air fill or when paying entrance fees at a scuba park. Hw many have sold used eq on Ebay and required proof of a C-card. How many shops actualy varify a person with a valid C-card are still fit to dive. When you get your drivers license they require you to at least renew it and check your records and eyesight.

I may not agree with everything that genensis ever posts but I agree with him on this and feel the Mfg's do there best to control and fix the price of eq which affects the promotion and aval of the sport.

Geek

Genesis once bubbled...
Do 'ya mind pointing out where I've said that?

Oh, by the way, I've ordered my own compressor. Perhaps I'll file an air certificate and sell a few bottles. Not hard, 'ya know.

The irony would be if I was to float a barge out by the pass here in Destin, complete with generator and compressor, and do PP Nitrox fills right there on the barge - along with undercutting all the local shops, of course. Or just buy a second gas-powered unit for that specific purpose.

Not hard to do - I've done the numbers on it and in fact it would be dirt trivial. Profitable too. Whether I want to spend my summer filling bottles for people is a different question......

Ahhh, I can see the barge floating by now.

:royal: GENEROUS GENESIS's CHEAP AIR FILLS :royal:

None of that cheap, sissy dive shop air here
Buy your tank from LP: First 50 air fills are free
Just don't buy at your dive shop
Need Nitrox? I got it. No certification necessary
Just don't buy from your dive shop
Equipment not O2 clean. Don't worry, I can rinse it out.
Just don't buy from your dive shop
:box:

I don't totally disagree with Genesis about the pricing, etc. but until he opens his own shop or opens his own airfilling barge he ought to at least look at both sides. From the LDS side, not just his side

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom