Fruits of the sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama:
We got these about two weeks ago out on the Tenneco, the Cheveron and the Russian Freighter out of Pensacola Pass.

DSCF0264.jpg
Can't wait for my first dive in Pensacola in a couple of weeks. These fish and lobsters make me hungry for the coast - I've been stuck here in the middle of Texas for too long!
Plus, my Dad just told me about the 50lb Wahoo he caught on Friday - but he's promised to save us some.

Rick Murchison:
I figure any Spiny we see off Alabama has walked all the way from Key West! Never seen a small one...
(I know which are better eatin', but I ain't tellin')
Rick :)

Yeah, I'm told that all the spinys up this way drifted here or walked, and you're right -- no such thing as a small one -- at least I've never seen one. That's why they ought to change the regs for North Florida. What are the regs in Alabama?

scuba_luv:
Can't wait for my first dive in Pensacola in a couple of weeks. These fish and lobsters make me hungry for the coast - I've been stuck here in the middle of Texas for too long!
Plus, my Dad just told me about the 50lb Wahoo he caught on Friday - but he's promised to save us some.

The water was still a little murky on Sunday from Tropical Storm Arlene, but barring any more storms, it should be cleared up in a couple of weeks.

Florabama:
Yeah, I'm told that all the spinys up this way drifted here or walked, and you're right -- no such thing as a small one -- at least I've never seen one. That's why they ought to change the regs for North Florida. What are the regs in Alabama?
Regs???
R E G S ? ? ? ? ?
We don' need no steeeenking REGS!
---
No limit/no season on shovelnose (cannot take gravid females). Spiny is the same as Florida I think, but I'll have to do some research & get back on it.
Rick

Water was looking pretty good off the beach today, and from what I hear, this past weekend.

mbs1177:
I thought all lobster were protected out of season... correct me if I am wrong.

http://myfwc.com/marine/history/LOBSTER-SPINYANDSLIPPER.htm

EDIT: That looks old. On the 2005 Regulations it only specifies spiny lobster as protected.

http://marinefisheries.org/Regulations/Regschart2005.pdf

I actually wrote the FWC and asked them this exact question. I tried to find their response, but I couldn't. Anyway, they wrote me back after about a week and said that there are no seasons on slipper. The only prohibition is egg bearing females.

But, I did not know that there had ever been season on slipper lobster, but apparently there used to be. That was news to me.

In the days when Bert was still driving the Thunderball there were loads of very large lobster at a certain limestone ledge associated with Orange Beach.

As to which one is the best eating - I know too but the Paramedics just love it when I eat one.

Rick Murchison:
I figure any Spiny we see off Alabama has walked all the way from Key West! Never seen a small one...
(I know which are better eatin', but I ain't tellin')
Rick :)

Tom Smedley:
In the days when Bert was still driving the Thunderball there were loads of very large lobster at a certain limestone ledge associated with Orange Beach.

As to which one is the best eating - I know too but the Paramedics just love it when I eat one.

You talking about the Dutch Banks? They're a pretty large area of live bottom (if they didn't get covered up by Ivan) with lots of ledges, and only about 3 miles off the beach, but off Perdido not Orange Beach..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom