Ft. Pierce Shore Dive: Wednesday 4/18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So in reverse, if I was planning to drive down for a day of shore diving in the Broward area, what dives would you reccomend?

I'm a Pompano guy myself. I really enjoy the drop drop off, particularly the south end. I think it's the closet you will get on a shore dive to what some of the deeper ledges look like. Although, lately I've been exploring a bit past the balls. There are some nice patch reefs further out that most people that do the drop off don't hit up, neither do the boats. Pompano also has a good inner (between the balls and shore) on the south end as well. Parking is almost non existent on the south side though.

I personally think (many will disagree) that LBTS is the most overrated beach dive around. I'll do it every once in a blue moon, but personally, if that was all that was around I would not dive nearly as often as I do. One good thing is that it's a very easy dive close to shore. It is a pretty decent reef with a lot of life, but it just doesn't do it for me (same as BHB, although I recommend doing that one at least once).

Dania Beach has the Erojacks which I have only done once, but is a pretty cool and interesting dive. There is also a nice ledge a little further out that I frequent quite often.

How deep does the Pompano Drop off go to and how far out do you have to swim to reach the reefs?

It sounds like it is definetly worth a visit!

I just have to persuade my wife that it is worth the drive!

How deep does the Pompano Drop off go to and how far out do you have to swim to reach the reefs?

It sounds like it is definetly worth a visit!

I just have to persuade my wife that it is worth the drive!

It's about .4 of a mile to the balls. The average depth is about 25' from around 12th st and north. You can hit around 32' further south. You definately want to do it on a pretty flat day your first time. There are also a lot of boats out there between you and the beach as well as Jet Skii rentals (12th st) so have alwyays keep a sharp eye on the surface swims.

Feel free to hit me up if you come down!

Thanks very much, I'll let you know when I've got some dates in mind for the summer.

Likewise let me know when you're coming up this way and we can meet up to dive Ft Pierce / Stuart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom