'Full size wrist computer" part II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A used Shearwater Predator (supposed to be in good working order and 1 scratch on outside of case) for $600 + shipping. The catch? Shipping from Canada for UPS was quoted as $25.41 + duty appx. $25-$30. OR new Galileo Luna for $648 no tax, no shipping from Colorado.

I know the Predator is a better computer but it is used, no waranty etc. Please advise.

Thanks

Scubapro Luna -The Best Dive Computer for you!

Here is a screen shot of the Galileo Luna in "Light" mode. Very easy to use and see. The second picture is the Luna in Classic mode. This computer is extremely easy to personalize and it will meet your needs. Please note the screen on the left is in metric & Bar.
Galileo Luna Light mode.jpggalileo_classic.jpg

The two computers are aimed at different markets and have very different feature sets, the Predator at tec divers, the Luna at rec divers who want lots of add on features. What kind of diving are you going to be doing and which features best meet your needs? The Predator can easily do multiple gas switching but doesn't have integrated air; the Predator can manage both open and closed circuit (rebreather) diving but doesn't have a built-in compass, and so on. Look at the feature sets and decide which you want and which you don't.

Personally I chose a Petrel (the model that replaced the Predator) because of simplicity of use and outstanding display, even though I've never used more than two gasses on a dive (yet). I do see deep, multi-gas dives in my future, so I have that capability. I've got an SPG and a compass, and prefer the simplicity of the Petrel without display clutter (e.g. heart-rate monitor). And no matter how good the Luna's monochrome dot matrix display is, it will never be able to match the Predator's OLED display.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about warrantee; Shearwater has an unblemished record of after-sale support; I'd be surprised if they'd leave you in the lurch because you bought one second-hand, unless, of course, the seller ran over it with a truck or something and isn't mentioning that to you; always a risk buying on line but there are payment options to help mitigate that risk.

There are other rec computers in roughly your price range that have color LCD displays that might be worth considering if ease of visibility is a primary concern.

The Predator, hands down. Though really, I'd say save yourself $300 extra dollars however you need to and buy a new Petrel. It's smaller, has a lot more dive log memory, and a better mount approach (no metal bracket). If you buy a Luna, you truly deserve it.

LOL, tell us how you really feel?

The Scubapro Luna can be up-graded w/ Predive Multi-Gas ( PMG ). PMG allows the diver to use up to three different transmitters & mixes.

Also, it allows the diver to download the Tri-mix upgrade for Free!

This up-grade makes the Luna a Tek Dive Computer!

The easy to read display is not a battery Hog, like OLED.
The Luna battery will last for years!

The Scubapro Luna can be up-graded w/ Predive Multi-Gas ( PMG ). PMG allows the diver to use up to three different transmitters & mixes.

Also, it allows the diver to download the Tri-mix upgrade for Free!

This up-grade makes the Luna a Tek Dive Computer!

The easy to read display is not a battery Hog, like OLED.
The Luna battery will last for years!

Yes, because "Tek" divers so love their computers to have multiple AI transmitters, heart rate monitors, poor contrast dot matrix displays cluttered with useless information and overly "busy" U/I, and gimmicky "wreck maps" (among other attempts to slap everything into one fugly computer).

They also love their computers to have such handy features as this:

If you stay above a depth of 0.8m/3ft for more than 3 minutes without observing a prescribed decompression stop, the computer will switch into SOS mode. Once in
SOS mode the computer will lock up and will be inoperable as a dive computer for 24 hours.

If Galileo is used for diving within the 24 hours of an SOS lock, it will automatically switch to gauge mode and provide no decompression information

And a minor nit, its IR interface is dated and often annoying to synch technology, while even the older Predator uses Bluetooth. Just read the Luna's manual--it's like looking at a manual for the Ti-89 of dive computers.

Correct! The Luna does offer a gauge mode to 330 meters that some Tek divers Love.

Good point, thanks for bringing up Dr.

Correct! The Luna does offer a gauge mode to 330 meters that some Tek divers Love.

Good point, thanks for bringing up Dr.

Indeed, the option of a gage mode is a good thing (and something the Petrel has but the Predator currently does not, though supposedly a free firmware update may fix that some time in the near future).

What's not a good thing is having your computer crap out on you (which is what entering gage mode without the diver's decision is) and refuse to provide deco information if you have to blow a stop for some reason, something computers like the Atomic Cobalt, Shearwater Petrel/Predator, Liquivision X1, etc. do not do.

There are plenty of great options for a dive computer out there other than a Shearwater. The Luna is not among them. If (being aware of the other options) you opt to pay good money for an outdated, overstuffed computer like that, you really do deserve eachother.

For technical diving, the shearwater computers are a no brainer, simply the best computers on the market today. But this is very important, THEY ARE NOT FOR RECREATIONAL DIVING! Forget what the "experts" here say, call Shearwater yourself and tell them what you're looking for in a computer and they will advise against it themselves if it's for rec diving, that is not what the computer is built for.

If recreational diving is what you're gonna be doing for a while, then go with the luna, as beaverdiver mentioned, the Luna can be customized to your liking and needs, which makes it a very friendly and easy user interface computer, contrary to what Dr Lecter is saying, the computer can be simplified as much as possible or have the power to provide as much information as you can handle, it's up to the user to make those choices when customizing it for your needs.

So, if you're a tech diver right now, Predator hands down, If tech diving is not in a near future (2 years), then the Luna makes a better choice, no doubt.

A used Shearwater Predator (supposed to be in good working order and 1 scratch on outside of case) for $600 + shipping. The catch? Shipping from Canada for UPS was quoted as $25.41 + duty appx. $25-$30. OR new Galileo Luna for $648 no tax, no shipping from Colorado.

I know the Predator is a better computer but it is used, no waranty etc. Please advise.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom