'Full size wrist computer" part II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Luna does not go into SOS until you go to the surface ( above 3' ) for more 3 minutes and neglect a mandatory Deco stop. At that point, you should stay out of the water, think about getting on O2 and heading to a chamber.

If you get back to depth in less than 3 minutes the Luna will not go in to SOS and you can clear your Deco.

If it does go into SOS, you can still go back to depth and use gauge mode.

I believe that if a Luna goes into SOS, the diver should stay out of the water in most cases.

You can always carry a 10' line, tie your computer to it & go have lunch while your dive computer clears the Deco. ( Not recommended! )

Funny, my Petrel and Predator both work just as well on nice, single tank recreational dives as they do on 200'+ multi-gas decompression dives.

To the OP, I say: read (if you can stand to) the Luna's manual, and then go read the Petrel or Predator's manual. It doesn't matter whether you'll never use it for tech or not, which one is the simpler, more useful computer should be clear. That Shearwater's small, personalized customer service blows away Scubapro's big business, overly complicated model is just icing on the cake.

Again, don't take my word for it, or any haters or "experts" for that matter, call Shearwater.

I like my Sol, but I never need to switch gas and never do deco.

Uwatec support is absolutely terrible though and for that reason alone I will look elsewhere next time I need a computer.

The easy to read display is not a battery Hog, like OLED.
The Luna battery will last for years!

I've got a Mares Nemo Wide with a monochrome display that's still on its original battery 2 years after I bought it. I've got a Petrel with a color LCD display that burns through a AA battery after a couple of weeks of solid diving and I have to change it -- oh the suffering. Guess which one is my primary computer. Admittedly the Predator, unlike the Petrel, can't use off-the-shelf AA batteries (uses SAFT batteries), but still, this is such a non-argument -- I have to charge my iPhone batteries every day; maybe I should go back to a wired rotary dial phone because they don't eat batteries at all...

Really happy with my new LIquivision Xeo.. For recreational diving, moving up to tech, I hope. (My own physical problems pending).
Haven't dived with it yet but I found it very user friendly, something I've never found with dive computers before.

A Shearwater Predator/Petrel is suitable for a normal recreational diver. So long as you want to pay for features you may never use, then buy it. My wife has a Predator and 90% of her dives are less than 25 metres. Guess what, it works perfectly for these dives, just as it does for the 50 metre dives she does. For me, I love my Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2N, but I could easily put up with a Petrel or Predator.

And I agree about Uwatec support, they used to be brilliant but in Australia the support is crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom