Fundies: Like the idea, but not the equipment requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once I got used to the blade fins, I realized how much "fine control" I was giving up with splits
i'll second this - i did the fundies class in my big old paddle fins, but when i returned to splits & tried some of the more subtle kicks, the splits felt kind of "sloppy".

i'm not keen to go back to using the old mares fins, but might try the stumpy turtle-fin type jetfins: diving's not supposed to be a race, anyway.

I'm Jeff Seckendorf, one of the UTD instructors based in Los Angeles. First, I want to thank Lynn for working so hard to keep this thread on track.

Essentials is as described. A skills-based class in a teaching environment. It is not a certification class. You could consider it a workshop. After a student takes the online academic class, we do lectures, dry runs, and maybe a pool session, then a series of open water dives working on personal and team skills...buoyancy, trim, proper air shares, smb deployments, team positioning, etc.

The key is that we are teaching skills that create the basis for solid diving. There are no critical skills in this class, ie no surprise out-of-air's, no surprise mask-off's, no surprises period. Learn and practice the skills, and then learn how to practice the skills.

Right now there are 10 UTD instructors. 3 in Los Angeles, 2 in Seattle, 2 in BC, 1 in Detroit, 1 in the Bay Area, and 1 in Singapore. Pretty much all of us are willing and able to travel, so if you have a group of three or more who would like to do Essentials (or any other UTD class), let me know and I'll coordinate a class for you with one of us. It's simple.

And the online class is available to every diver regardless of whether enrolled in the class or not. Find it in the 'store' on the website, Unified Team Diving.

We are all here to teach, to help, and to see you become better divers.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom