Fundies Report - Spokane July 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was great meeting you Hunter- hope you make it back soon.

I'd like to add a big thanks to Rick for putting this together, and Atlantis for hosting us too. Thanks also to Steve and Mark for coming to town to instruct us.

Regretfully I came down with nausea strong enough to keep me out of the water the last day, so did not complete the class.

One thing that surprised me was how physically exhausting it was for me- I had my drysuit blow a zipper two weeks before class, and did not take enough time to dial in my weighting with the rental suit. Thought I was close, but while I was not over weighted much I was not weighted so I could stay horizontal without movement (very feet heavy). So I spent a LOT of energy trying to stay horizontal all the time. That for two dives plus the 400m swim really wiped me out on Saturday.

If I would have had trim nailed before class, it would have left me far more energy to focus on the new skills and topics being presented.

But a great experience- glad I took the class. I hope I can go for a tech pass in doubles next summer.

Zeph

Hi Zeph,

Was good to meet you too. I had a great time there and you guys have some great diving. I will certainly be coming back. Keep in touch.

limeyx:
They are also not really popular around here, as you need a heck of a lot of weight to sink them.

I only dive with an extra 3 pounds in a trim pocket at the base of the tanks. (7mm suit with bp and can light). Empty they are just under 5lbs positive and they are obviously negative when full.

Hunter

coldsmoke:
Hi Zeph,

Was good to meet you too. I had a great time there and you guys have some great diving. I will certainly be coming back. Keep in touch.

I only dive with an extra 3 pounds in a trim pocket at the base of the tanks. (7mm suit with bp and can light). Empty they are just under 5lbs positive and they are obviously negative when full.

Hunter

Well, it depends what steel tanks you use. My steels are usually -2 empty, and the AL's +3.5 or so.

Therefore, I need probably 5 pounds more per tank (or 10 total) compared to my steel tanks. Sometimes I use Faber LP tanks which are neutral empty, so maybe 6 or so pounds extra.

Yeah, you might not need much extra weight than a SS BP, but the weight you need extra compared to steel tanks was really what I meant.

I dive 99% with a drysuit, so I couldn't comment on AL80s with a wetsuit.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom