Funny story but lesson learned *long*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

christ......true or not, you have to admit its pretty damn funny.A flailing ball of limbs? classic! Jellyfish juice in the eyes? your killing me! I love this place!

Tobagoman:
This has to be fabricated, scuba cylinders do not float when full and sink when empty, unless your breathing from a balloon.
Although a well written yarn that points out everything not to do!

Yes Tobagoman I think you are right. I checked his other posts and he was asking if a second stage meant the octo.

Well at least he has imagination going for him.

Let's see, 15 min after you wrote this so called "dive report" you were on another forum confused about what a second stage was? And you've been diving for how long with how many dives?

Assuming this isn't an April Fool's gag, I noticed that you didn't say anything about being certified.

Welcome to the board. You'll find that this is a great place to get advice on all sorts of topice related to diving. And on that note, my first piece of advice is to take a certification class. From your questions and use of terminology, it seems pretty likely that you haven't done that yet. Scuba is a great sport, but the ocean is an unforgiving place. Every year, lots of folks are killed doing things that are covered in the most basic open water scuba class. We want to welcome you to our sport, but not as another of these grisly statistics.

Your certification class will teach you the skills you need to dive safely. Your instructor can also help you with your gear selection and answer your questions.

Good luck,
Grier

Flamebug818:
NAUI for ever woot
srry
flamebug
lol
previous message refers to padi insulting quote,
on a much more serious note do get certified and be very careful diving if not for ur sake than mine, my mom already doesn't like me diving and two divers dieing won't help take a cert course or a refresher and be safe
cheers
flamebug

Wow this got quite a few more replies than I expected.

I am a certified diver, as was my buddy. He had not been diving, like I said, since his open water cert. The details may be a little fuzzy to me, but if I had a camera to show you, I would. As for the descrepancies in my story relating to physics... I don't know what to say. Perhaps I remember things backwards, or maybe at the end of the dive he was too tired to keep himself afloat, but his tank was pointing at the surface, bottom closest to the surface for a good 30 seconds before I noticed.

Also, I asked him if he wanted to return and he declined, and said he could handle it. I'm not one to make up peoples minds for them, and as it were, I wasn't going to argue with him since I had spent a good $50 on gear previously that morning.

I'm also certainly not one to call off a dive due to jellyfish, sure, it's a little painful, especially in the eyes, but definatly not worth casting my money away for.

I agree, we probably shouldn't have done that dive, however, I am glad that we did, because we, well I, learned more in that dive than I have in any of my previous dives.

I'm happy some of you enjoyed the read, and I appreciate the concern of those who expressed it. Perhaps I need to venture out of my circle of diving friends, although I assure you none of my dives in the Keys went this bad.

Edit in my own defense: Just wanted to reiterate the fact that I have never purchased my own equipment, and it has been 5 years since my last formal training. I would not have posted in another forum if I thought it would point fingers at non-existant dive training. I was asking in that forum because I am actually finally thinking about buying my own equipment and couldn't for the life of me remeber what a second stage was. Sorry for the confusion, please don't mistake me though I'll hopefully be posting more on these boards in the future and I don't want start off on the wrong foot.

I for one am very shocked that you have come back to post. But I am very glad that you did. I have been waiting to hear your replies. We certainly don't want to drive people away. I understand some people are harsh, but think of it as a tough love. Everybody here loves the sport of diving and no matter how experienced somebody is nobody wants to read about an incident involving a fellow diver.

I am also glad that you had the opportunity to LEARN your lesson and we did have to use you as a statistic.

There is one thing that I believe and will continue to standby it for as long as I shall dive. There is NO shame in calling a dive. I don't care if it cost me $50 or $300 for that dive. There is no price that I can put on my life or my buddies life. If my buddy is not properly equipped for the dive I am sorry, I won't dive with him. Yeah, he may be able to handle himself but what if I am having an issue? Can he come and help me?? If we are at depth and all of a sudden I have an issue, I turn to my buddy, next thing I know he is bolting for the surface because he doesn't have his buoyancy under control or something, how does that help me?

Personally I know my buddies gear as well as he does. Other then the fact we are different sizes, if I was wearing his gear I would be able to find everything with my eyes closed.

Most dive shops if you haven't dived in a certain amount of time they will require a refresher course or at least a DM be present. I think your buddy could have used some help.

Jellyfish, fine. I don't have a real issue with that, they sting, whatever if it isn't a Man-O-War and they are small stings ok. But the fact they were getting in your mask, that isn't cool. Some people react differently to stings, your buddy could have gone into shock, but you might not have noticed, so once again the price thing...

Now with that all said, I still want to commend you for posting your story, and I am being sincere. I think most people would be too afraid to post it for fear that they will be bashed. And in some cases unfortunately they are a little. But like I said, it is tough love.

Welcome to Scuba Board, please continue to post and let’s keep it learning and not statistics.

Safe and happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom