Future New Diver from Miami,Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mflynn06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey guys,

My name is Mike from Miami,Fl. I’ll be going through my open water class in August. Mainly wanting to get certified for shallow water lobstering and spear fishing at first. Then I’d like to little by little get into the deeper stuff.

Just picked up a Mantus Marine Mini Scuba Kit Brand new on Facebook Marketplace for $400. Not sure how long it’s been sitting in its wrappers but I’ll get everything checked out by my lds. System is definitely made for exactly what I want for now. 15-20ft max and super lightweight and compact. I wanted to get on here to see if I could find any nice 30 cu ft ranks as that is the max size they recommend to run on their system. It comes with a 24 cu ft tank. I figure with 2 to 4 tanks I could have a good day out on the water.

I hope to learn a lot on here. 37 years old and have always wanted to get certified, finally the day is coming!

Welcome to the hobby.

However, I feel like I need to start with a caution. What you want to do - hunting in a basic harness with no wing - is actually pretty advanced diving, even if you are staying shallow.

You should understand that danger doesn't usually come from depth. It usually comes from a failure to notice or deal with small problems and then panicking when they turn into larger problems. Anything that removes your attention from the basics of diving increases the chance that this will happen.

I suggest you hold off on the hunting until stuff like bouyancy control, mask clearing and reg recovery are second nature.

You should also rethink using that kit for diving in open water. For one thing, I don't believe you'll be allowed to use it in your OW class since it doesn't have a wing or air bladder. It's really meant for surface-based boat stuff like freeing fouled props.

I completely agree with you. Gaining experience and safety are top priorities. After my class I plan to rent gear until I can buy everything little by little and get with my lds and start diving. I never thought about using this kit for the class. I want it only for the shallows. I only bought it cause I found a great deal.

Hey Mike, did you get certified? I just got mine and im also down in miami.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom