G-15 FLOODED!! (crap Canon Housing) Need Instructions to open...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

250 bucks to have someone look at a camera - yeah, thats a pretty damn big step towards just getting a new one and be done with it.. Thats probably why they charge that kinda prices in the first place tbh..

I can't argue with that. But then it seems most everything's now disposable rather then repairable

Yeah, and saltwater and electronics REALLY dont match at all so its not likely to be able to be repaired so you may as well get a silly quote for it :p

Recsea's really good too - can use all the functions easily and can change lenses u/w without much difficulty. My condolences for your loss. Good luck with the replacement.

If the camera flooded in saltwater, it is toast. There is no point in attempting to have it repaired.

As to the housing, it is pay now or pay later. The OP, like many decided to pay later, now he has.

I wish him the best, it is never a good thing to see a flooded camera.

N

..snip..
Seriously do NOT consider the Canon housing.
..snip..

Thanks in advance.

George

Looking at pictures of the Canon housing for the G15 it follows the style of the G12. So it probably has the same well-known issue with the mould lines.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/315202-canon-housing-leaks-easy-diy-fix.html

Did you inspect the groove where the o-ring sits before using the camera? When I bought my G12 housing a couple of years ago it had mould lines that were marking the o-ring significantly. After sanding, I left it absolutely smooth and in spite of a lot of subsequent dives and abuse it's never let a drop of water get in.
I'm sure it would have failed quickly without the sanding.

By the way - if your housing floods at depth, what does the damage is electrolysis from the energy in the battery. Once the camera is wet, don't waste time, while still at depth open the housing and remove the battery ASAP. Back on the surface keep the camera in fresh water until you get home - use a plastic bag of water or anything, then rinse and soak with distilled water and finally try the drying techniques.
The distilled water won't leave any residual deposits.

Reactions: Jax
I've got close to 400 dives on two canon housings, with zero moisture (not even condensation). A friend had about a dozen dives on a Nauticam that began leaking at shallow depths. Luckily, he noticed (thanks to the sensor) before losing the camera, and Nauticam admitted it was a manufacturing issue. They replaced his housing with a shiny new one, and he's been good ever since.

So in my experience, the Nauticams have a higher failure rate, but I'd feel comfortable with either brand. Most floods are the fault of the diver, or of someone handling the diver's cam improperly, but it's a crap-shoot if you get a bum housing, and they can come from anywhere.

I've got close to 400 dives on two canon housings, with zero moisture (not even condensation). A friend had about a dozen dives on a Nauticam that began leaking at shallow depths. Luckily, he noticed (thanks to the sensor) before losing the camera, and Nauticam admitted it was a manufacturing issue. They replaced his housing with a shiny new one, and he's been good ever since.

So in my experience, the Nauticams have a higher failure rate, but I'd feel comfortable with either brand. Most floods are the fault of the diver, or of someone handling the diver's cam improperly, but it's a crap-shoot if you get a bum housing, and they can come from anywhere.

agreed...I have had several canon housings and they have all worked out fine. never an issue. sorry to hear about the flood, tho.

I flooded my s100, in a Canon housing, but it was my fault. Bought another s100, still using same housing. I have 150 dives with canon housings, most in rougher New England waters.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Hi, I have a G15 nauticam housing in perfect working condition, zero problems or floods, used 10 days diving. Eleven extra O-rings, manual, box. Want to upgrade to a Nikon dSLR. $950, free mail to continental US. Paypal. anilaodiver tel 310-377-3571

Back
Top Bottom