G10 Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill,

Cost as a factor, how much would all of those add-ons run that you mentioned to the DSLR?

It may be just my guess but I think Puffer may have meant more stock, comparing a stock G10 without all the add-ons to that of a DSLR. Just how I took things and I don't speak for Puffer in any way.

Thanks Splash-X...the DSLR lovers tend to be very forceful in their viewpoint. I point out the macro zoom issue.. and they return with the fact that a 100mm macro, with additional lens can get closer. His statement is true, but not to the point..

With a G10, you can do macro and then take a reasonable wide angle image...something no DSLR can do today.

While that small sensor can be a pain...there actually are advantages... DOF is one.

And shooting in F22.. in iso 80...yup, you get reasonable DOF.. but you need some huge strobes.. (however, it is not better.. just better than any other option)

A canon 5d is not just any dslr...and yup, if you configure it to take a specific type of image.. it does an incredible job.. but only one at a time. But then it will then take only that type of picture.

Resolution wise.. what might shock some people, is that the difference is not that big.. just check out dpreview.com.. roughly 2500 versus 2800 lines per inch...

Cost on the other hand is huge.. as you point out, just all the add on's cost several times the G10..

Just for an example...here are two none adjusted images taken on the same dive: (I stupidly had my strobes on for the first one..dumb photographers.. dumb photoprapher)

(I just made a small image so I could post them):

spadefish1.jpg

damsel2.jpg

Try taking that first image with a 100mm +1.4 on the camera...try getting the second with a 28mm on the camera.

If you want flexibility underwater.. don't get a dslr...

When/how did this become a DSLR vs P&S thread?

Back
Top Bottom