G12 White Balance with Diffuser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My next dive outing won't be until next July. On the previous trip, I started using a Canon G12 for the first time. One of the nice features of the G12 is the ability to set a button to quickly white balance. I didn't use the feature on the last trip because I thought I needed a white slate to balance with. I have, recently, wondered if the diffuser could be used as a replacement for a white slate. The diffuser is already attached to the front of the housing and easy to remove and put back on. Has anyone used the diffuser as a target for white balance? I'm curious to whether it would work.

Thanks.

Should its white

You could also set the white balance after the shot when processing your photos in lightroom or something.
I assume the G12 can shoot in RAW?

The G12 can definitely shoot in RAW. It's much simpler to use the RAW files after the dives and adjust the white balance in them than to try and reset the white balance after every depth change.

I was hoping to avoid post-processing while on a trip because I'm already carrying enough gear that I would rather not also bring a laptop and associated cables and power supply.

It sounds like it should work, so I guess I'll give it a try next time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom