G2 w/Ikelite housing--Substrobe recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougsturgess

Reaction score
I've been doing underwater photography for several years with my G2 and the onboard flash with the Ikelite housing. I'd love to ugrade to the housing for the 20d (I have the camera) but it's cost-prohibitive.

I'd like to hear from others who are using the G2 and a substrobe for recommendations on the Ikelite & Inon substrobes.

Also, what, if any, options are there to put a wide-angle lens on the Ikelite housing?

Thanks.

Photos at http://www.pbase.com/dougsturgess/main_gallery

I reviewed some of your pics and they are great! I'm now very happy I went with the G6, looks like you have been happy with the G2 for some time.

On the substrobe note, I have an Ike Ds-50 that I have been using with the manual controller. I have been pleased with the results but I just ordered the TTL sync cord so I don't have to use the internal flash whatsoever. I also use a Sealife SL960d as a slave.

If you don't have the TTL bulkhead I would go with the manual controller and the Ds-50.

If you have the cash go for the Ds-125 it has a wider angle of exposure and faster recycle time. However it might be over the top to not use it TTL, it has all the power settings you need on it. So if you have the TTL bulkhead this is definitely the better strobe.

Ds-200 just came out too, but it's mucho expensive.

If you have the 67mm thread on the port you can get an Inon wide angle, macro, and/or fisheye dome.

Thanks for the info. Do you know of anyone who has the Inon wide angle/macro/fisheye or an Inon strobe? I heard the Inon strobs are lighter than Ikelite, but don't know anything about quality/ease of use/compatibility with Ikelite G2 housing.

Im shooting the 20d and using 10x22 wide angle and the 17x40 wide angle and the 17x85 and the 50mm macro and 100mm macro lens love them all...Also using 2 ds-125 strobes they are bad to the bone..

Do you have any photos posted that I could see?
I'm thinking about getting the 20d housing & 1 substrobe.
I have the 16-35 f/2.8L. Would that be a good underwater lens?
How many ports do you have to fit all your lenses?
Are you using the 100mm f/2.8L macro?
Do you find it frustrating being limited in what you can photograph by what lens you
put on before the dive?
How do you learn how much flash to use or does the camera tell the flash how
much to use automatically (that's via eTTL, no?)
I may have more questions for you , if you don't mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom