G250 cracking pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My SP G250 is...leaking (?) a bit. It's not a full blown free flow; it's just a "dribble" of air. In fact, I was going to dive anyway (shore dive in ~32fsw but still reflects that it's not too bad) until my ai dc flooded!
Anyway, time to biy a Shearwater/Sea Bear/Galileo/Helo2 etc. & fix my g250. 1st stage is a Mk25...fwtw. I'm getting a 25/600 but w/n have it in time for my next dive, so I hoped to fix this myself.
I was told that the cracking pressure might be set too low; I was also told that it might be a HP seat in the 1st stage.
Thoughts?? Thanks!!

The cracking pressure is not the origin of the problem.
The HP seat could cause the problem. In this case the IP should be a little too high causing the leak.
I'd suggest that the problem could be the seat in the second stage.

How would I correct this? I have the SP "kit" (annual service), universal tool on order ($20 eBay find) & the Reg Savvy book, but I haven't really fixed anything...yet.
Thanks!!

You would need an IP gauge to check for the IP.
You would also need a SP G250 service manual.
Most important you would need experience and manual skills to service your reg set.
I would suggest send it to a service pro to fix the problem if you need your regulator for your next dive excursion.
If you have time and a pool that can be used with scuba gear, try it and test your work in a pool in the shallow part where you can surface quickly if it doesn't work.
Servicing a second stage is not rocket science, but you need to know what you are doing, how things should be done, the required spares and the required tools.

Don't forget the IP gauge.....there's not much you are going to achieve without one.

In the meantime try screwing in the 2nd stage orifice a quarter turn, you might get lucky.

Crank your user adjustment in a half turn. If that stops the leak, you should be good. That is the way I set mine. If the leak is reduced but persists, give it another half turn. If that does not stop the leak, the problem is probably the first stage.

I'll give that a try...thanks!
I considered just having it repaired but no one (that I trust anyway) will have the reg back to me before my next dive.
Thanks!

I had that happen on a reg recently, it was dirt in the reg 2nd stage, the guy unscrewed the front, pulled the diaphragm, and rinsed the inside, then reassembled it and it was fine.

I'll try all of these suggestions...THANKS! I d/n own a tank anymore so I c/n test to see if anything worked. I'll have to try a fix & bring it to my LDS.
Many thanks!!

Everything fine that has been written, but if you don't have an IP meter, one good way to find out where to look for the problem could be putting the reg on a tank, open, pushing the purge button.
When you release the purge button watch when the 2nd starts to free flow.
If it takes a couple of seconds before the 2nd start to hiss, it make sense to check the 1st stage.
It it free flows right a way, the problem probably is the 2nd stage.
This analysis is obviously not extremely precise, but can save time looking for the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom