Gas Switching with Atom 3.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ATJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have an Atom 3.0 and I'm using a 5L pony as well as a 12.2L main tank.

I will have my main tank with 32% EAN and my pony with Air. I only have a transmitter on the regs on the main tank. Can I still use the gas switching feature of the Atom (so it will track the change from 32% to 21%) even though there is no transmitter on the pony and so it won't track the pressure?

Not easy to test without actually going for a dive.

Thanks.

I guess I will answer myself... :wink:

I tried it on a dive today. I was using air in both tanks: 12.2L for the main tank and a 5L pony. I used the main tank until it was down to around 70 bar then I switched to the pony. I did the gas switching procedure on the Atom 3.0 (M 2s, M 2s to select GAS 2, then S 2s to flash and S 2s to confirm. That worked well and switched the icon and didn't even bother checking for the transmitter (left the bottom part of the screen blank).

When I got to around 70 bar (as per the SPG) on the pony, I switched back to the main tank. I thought I repeated the gas switching procedure correctly, it did switch back to the 1st tank but started the dive time again.

I downloaded the log from the Atom 3.0 to the computer and it believes the dive started when I switched back to GAS 1.

I'll try again tomorrow.

I tried again on Saturday and it worked perfectly. I was able to switch to GAS 2 even though there is no transmitter and the watch kept recording the dive. I was also able to switch back to GAS 1 and it continued to record the dive.

The log for the dive showed the switching to GAS 2 and back to GAS 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom