Gator at CSSP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allen42

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all. I dive and DM private classes at CSSP a little bit, and have heard (and read in "the tour" thread) about a coffin (has been described as more of a cement sarcophagous (sp?) and a cement alligator out there.

I've got a good heading & depth on the coffin. Can anyone give me a fix on the gator?

Perhaps this should be in another thread, but I'd also like to hear people's opinions on the 61ft dredge tank CSSP put in. They sure went to a lot of trouble to get that in there, but we don't feel comfortable take AOW students into it... vis sucks, cold, dark, etc. I think we're gonna stick with Travis. Y'all have any thoughts on this?

Being a Dm candidate currently here ismy take on the situation

When i took my AOW class we had to go out to Possum Kingdon Lake to do the deep dive, and down at 72 feet it was real cold around 50 degrees and dark, and vis was less then 3 feet, my instrucotr had to stand on my foot so not to loose me

Then to CSSP on the last day of april(was a sunday, after all of the wqeekened classes had finished ) this year i went to the silo (the deep area they dredged) and decended to 62 feet were it got dark but it didnt need a light. Temp on the ledge surround ing the deep silo was 58 degrees(mind you this is only early spring, but the temp wont get out of the mid 60's year round) visabilty was around 15 feet which is the edge of the opening, at 15 feet people are still seeable but are in silioette. You can still manage a class in those conditions, i would bet at the beginning of the weekend visabilty would be much better

As for travis i havent been there but thats to far of a drive and money commitment for me and the students (2 nights camping/hotel, plus gas and food)

FWIW

Scubatooth

Ok, I'm headed out tomorrow to Clear Springs. Can anyone even provide a clue as to where the gator might be? General location? Depth? I won't have time to S/R the entire lake, especially with the anticipated Vis!

allen

there is going to be a bunch of the swampers meeting at CSSP tomorrow for diving i personally plan to be out there(so i can test how well the dental work that i had done this week is.)

as for the gator ask robert or dee when you get there they might have the 411 on it

Maybe I'll see ya'll. We are doing a OW class for a couple of students, so I can't go explore until after class (prolly Sunday), but If you happen to be around the side-by-side platforms/docks, say Hi.

-Allen

Does Debbie go by "Dee" or is Dee someone else?

Scubatooth once bubbled...
Then to CSSP on the last day of april(was a sunday, after all of the wqeekened classes had finished ) this year i went to the silo (the deep area they dredged) and decended to 62 feet were it got dark but it didnt need a light. Temp on the ledge surround ing the deep silo was 58 degrees(mind you this is only early spring, but the temp wont get out of the mid 60's year round) visabilty was around 15 feet which is the edge of the opening, at 15 feet people are still seeable but are in silioette. You can still manage a class in those conditions, i would bet at the beginning of the weekend visabilty would be much better

You experience is VERY different that mine.... I've been in that tank twice.. both time vis was ZERO (can't make out guages when placed up to my mask, with light.) Some ambient light made it in, but it was pretty much a total silt out. At the lip of the tank, it was about 5 foot.

-Allen

the dock would be the far north one (grapevine ?)

on the silo its a hit or miss on viz, but i plan on going out to the silo this weekend to do a pressure test .

see you all at the lake

I saw the alligator a few months ago. We were diving from the boat to the shark. I do not know exactly where we saw it, but from what I remember, it was about 34 to 40 feet deep. Hope this helps a little bit.

Debbie Jo and Dee are two different people.

Debbie is married to Robert. They are the owners of CSSP.

Dee is married to Beast (Doug) and they are..... well Dee and Beast.

TwoBit

Spent most of my time in the N half of lake. Found the coffin due to the "world tour" thread. (It's at about 42' by my computer, btw.)

It appears that the deep tank's marker has gone missing. (There was a bouy free-floating along the SE shore by the stairs...)

Viz is pretty bad above the first thermo.

Had a great couple of days! Next weekend in Coz... whoo-hoo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom