Gator bites golf ball diver - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver bitten by alligator at Florida golf course
Deputies say a man diving for golf balls was bitten by an alligator along a golf course in Charlotte County this afternoon.

It happened along the Palms course at the Rotunda Golf and Country Club in Englewood. The 50-year-old man was bitten on the arm while diving and managed to break free, but suffered a significant injury to his arm.

The victim was flown to a hospital in Lee County. His condition was not immediately available.

The 50-year-old victim was flown to a hospital in Lee County. (Fox 13 Tampa Bay)

The view from SkyFOX showed a large alligator peering out from the pond while Florida Fish & Wildlife officers looked on. Trappers have arrived at the scene and they expect to catch the gator shortly.

Alligators are a known hazard at many golf courses in Florida. The animals are often drawn to ponds and creeks along the fairways.

Boy I'm glad they pointed out that little known fact. I thought maybe it was the sand bunkers or lush putting greens. o_O

:p

4brxhx9wg67z.jpg

10.5' from what I hear. Big fella. I'm really surprised that the guy got away from it.

Somewhere, there's a video of FWC loading it up.

Last edited:
You know when you look back on some of the things you used to do and say to yourself, "That was pretty dumb, I'm lucky to be alive".

At about 9 years old (before the internet when kids played outside), I would explore every inch of Chi Chi Rodriquez golf course searching for golf balls to sell back to the golfers at 50 cents a pop. I'd be neck deep in the ponds and trek through the swamp in pursuit of my product. Quittin' time was the street lights. I sold a lot of balls, It's how I bought my first mountain bike... I wouldn't do that today even if I could get $100 bucks a ball. :eek:

10.5' from what I hear. Big fella. I'm really surprised that the guy got away from it.

Somewhere, there's a video of FWC loading it up.

That gator spit him out! And was probably scared by that weird thing he just accidentally bit into. You don't just simply walk away from a >10' reptile that wants you for lunch.

You know when you look back on some of the things you used to do and say to yourself, "That was pretty dumb, I'm lucky to be alive".

At about 9 years old (before the internet when kids played outside), I would explore every inch of Chi Chi Rodriquez golf course searching for golf balls to sell back to the golfers at 50 cents a pop. I'd be neck deep in the ponds and trek through the swamp in pursuit of my product. I sold a lot of balls, It's how I bought my first mountain bike... I wouldn't do that today even if I could get $100 bucks a ball. :eek:

The gator population has practically exploded since the 70s, when my generation were "kids". Living in SW Fla, gator sightings were rare and generally not large enough to be a serious threat. It's good that their #s have rebounded, but encounters like this are to be expected.

It's a very good thing that the typical Florida Aligator is timid and much less aggressive than many of their crocodilian cousins.

That gator spit him out! And was probably scared by that weird thing he just accidentally bit into. You don't just simply walk away from a >10' reptile that wants you for lunch.

The gator population has practically exploded since the 70s, when my generation were "kids". Living in SW Fla, gator sightings were rare and generally not large enough to be a serious threat. It's good that their #s have rebounded, but encounters like this are to be expected.

It's a very good thing that the typical Florida Aligator is timid and much less aggressive than many of their crocodilian cousins.

Wrong. I've known a couple of people who have survived attacks by large gators, including an elderly woman.

Also, what makes you think this was an accidental bite? That's ridiculous. Most likely, this was a female protecting a nest. Mating season just ended. I'll have to check.

Until they've been fed... Like ole' Pete here.

That is really stupid. I walked around a Texas State Park pond once that had gators sunning all around it, and they seemed docile enough, but I wasn't about to get close to their jaws. A ranger told me that they relocate any that aren't very social with people, but I question how comprehensive their identification process is. I guess everyone remembers this sad story: The horror of alligator attack on boy at Disney World resort is detailed in new reports

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom