gators and crocs, oh my!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltwater crocs are becoming more common in South Florida and are moving north of the keys/Miami.

This bears some clarification. The American crocodile is a brackish water species, from what I understand, and is very much a different species of crocodile from what's usually refered to as a 'salt water crocodile,' native to some places overseas and particularly associated in the public mind with Australia and the late Steve Irwin, the 'Crocodile Hunter.'

Just wanted to make sure people who don't read much about croc.s don't get confused.

Richard.

There was a snorkler a few years ago in a freshwater lake in SC who got hit by a gator. Made it to shore. Fortunately right there was a picnic of RNS and EMTs who saved his life since he was loosing blood rapidly. Believe it was Santee Cooper or just below that. Aware of a couple other gator attacks but they were in areas where folks cleaned fish or similar activites.

Many years ago I was helping a friend installing a new shaft on a yacht
at the Ocean Reef club in north Key Largo and encountered a Salt water
Croc . He was just curious about what we were doing and left us alone .
He was about 6 feet and had a lot of teeth !

Sea Dwellers

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom