gators and crocs, oh my!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheeledgoat

Covid Vaccinated
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It occurred to me, I've never heard of a story of a gator or croc attack. A quick search here only yielded one thread about a non-fatal bite on a golf ball diver.

I read about Florida freshwater cave and lake diving, but seldom is a mention of these critters. And yet it's not at all hard to find stories of dogs and kids getting snapped up lakeside. Seems to me gators would be a diver threat, no?

:oops:
well don't I feel embarrassed. normally i'm pretty good at searching first, not sure how I seemed to miss those. good reads, thanks! so apparantly it's a non-issue.

curious: did you use the forum search bar, or do a google site search?

I do this all the time--gently (I hope) reminding people how easy it is to mine the treasure trove of SB threads. I do prefer Google, using the "site:" filter to limit the results to ScubaBoard as you surmised.

Gators prey on things like fish, turtles, raccoons, wading birds, ducks, and dogs. Boy do they like dogs. Even a small, 6’ gator can dispatch a large dog quite efficiently. They are known to attack and kill small children, who kind of fit the above profile. Gators are not like Nike crocodiles, who will go after large terrestrial animals and adult humans.

Now bull gators are territorial. They will defend their territory from swimmers or wading fishermen. If they dispatch someone in the process, they will not pass up a free meal. Fisherman say that if they see a big gator, they leave him to his territory.

Given the absurdly large numbers of gators there are in FL and even numbers of big gators.... 10’ plus, there are very few attacks.

I dove Alexander Springs and there was a small gator there.... about 6 feet or a bit more. She was busily hunting a school of plescostomus cats, an invasive species. She was totally uninterested in divers.

Gators are strictly fresh water. Sea water rapidly makes them ill. But any body of water larger than a teacup in FL can have gators. They are often found in backyard swimming pools. The assumption should be that if it is wet, it has gators.

The American Crocodile is found in south FL and the upper keys. They like salt and brackish water. Their numbers are small. But they can get large and are potentially quite dangerous. But there are very few attacks.

Another thing, both gators and crocs can move far faster than most people imagine.

Just for a sense of scale, fresh water amoebas kill more people in FL than gators. It is just like the beaches, getting killed by someone driving on the beach is more likely than being killed by a shark.

Nike crocodiles? Do they get sponsorship money or just free shoes?

JK:rofl3:

Nike crocodiles? Do they get sponsorship money or just free shoes?

JK:rofl3:

They ARE the shoes. And the belts. And wallets.

I believe if common sense is used gators/crocs wouldn’t be a problem. Although I have way to much respect for them to stay in the water when they are around (unlike sharks which I will sometimes follow haha).

Saltwater crocs are becoming more common in South Florida and are moving north of the keys/Miami. Last December there was a 8’ croc around Deerfield pier for about a week or two, I don’t believe it was ever caught.

A couple months ago while fishing some sea walls on a lake I dropped my glasses and they fell in 7-10’ of water. I had my mask in hand and was about to jump in the retrieve them when I seen a 5-6’ gator across the lake. I refused to jump in to get my glasses and opted to pay the $300 for a new pair lol.

I have a Ph.D. in animal behavior. In the U.S., both alligators and crocodiles are naturally wary of humans. The crocodiles in the U.S. tend to be especially shy and typically avoid areas where humans are normally present. Interestingly, the same species tend to be larger and more aggressive in Central America and are known to have killed a few people. Alligators are naturally wary of humans and avoid them. Alligators do habituate quickly to being fed and will become aggressive in areas where they have been fed, associating humans with food. So unhabituated alligators are really shy; ones that have been fed are not. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell if an alligator has been fed and has lost its innate fear of human contact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom