Diving with alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My stepfather had a house on Lake SantaFe near Gainesville, FL when I was in HS (20+ years ago). I used to go out to the lake and swim all the time. Viz was a murky brown 10-15 feet, I guess. And, there were definitely alligators in the water, I'm sure. However, I never saw them.

However, the alligator population in Florida has increased over those 20+ years. I don't think I'd go take a swim in low-viz water anymore.

Springs, spring-fed rivers (Ginnie, Rainbow River) yes - I would, and have dived in those - just a few weeks ago at Rainbow River. Saw turtles, etc.... but didn't see Alligators.

Today happens to be the start of a 5 week Alligator hunting season down here. They started issuing a limited number of permits to help control populations.

The attached photo was taken by my uncle who lives on Lake Seminole (near the FL/GA border in GA). This was sunning itself in his back yard.....

I'd much rather dive with sharks.

Anyone else?

There are alligators at some of the sites that I cave dive at, and yes I have been in the water the same time the gators were. But usually the gators get out and sit on a rock on the shore when the divers are in the water, I don't think they like the bubbles.

Alligators can be aggressive and I have heard of them getting upset with divers, but not attacking, especially during mating season. They are pretty moody then. When the gators get too big or start causing problems in the springs, they are usually removed, but soon another smaller gaotr will move in and take its place.

Gators are dangerous and its a good idea not to go near them, don't throw rocks at them, common sense stuff like that.

when is mating season? Has anyone dove Silver river?

I'm not sure when mating season is - but baby alligators do stay with their mommies for a long time - I think I recently heard it's at least a couple of years (easy enough to look up....). Alligators are very maternal - so if you ever do see a SMALL alligator.... leave it alone - its mommy is probably somewhere nearby.

Though I haven't seen while diving, I have heard them. They make a low grunting sound. Honestly I've seen more alligators on golf courses than dive sites.... but I've heard them both places.

I agree - when they get to be large enough to be a danger, state parks and private diving facilities have them removed.

If you have dove freshwater in Florida, then I assure you that you have been with Gators. You may not have seen them, but they were definitely there.

I have swum under them resting on the surface with their feet and tail dangling down and then hit the purge button. They pretty near walk on water!!! :tease:

I was on a fossil dive in the Tomoka River when the dive leader accidentally grabbed a gator tail on the bottom. He pretty near walked on water... and we never saw that gator again! :tease:

DivingGal came down to dive the springs... so I took her to Blue where we had a great time. After we finished the dive we walked down to the run where she saw a "Beware of them thar gators" sign. She had thouroughly dismissed this sign (less than 20 feet where we had gotten out of the water) until I showed her the gator sunning itself on the other banks. I think she will always remember walking on water that day!!! :tease:

I avoid them when they get close to 12' and longer or in the spring/early summer when they mate and hatch. Gators are not deep divers, and while they do hunt under water, they pretty much wait in ambush in very shallow water. I have done more than my share of diving in lakes and rivers and have yet to feel threatened by any of them. I have felt threatened by them in a canoe and on land, but still think they are way cool. There is little to compare with watching a big bull gator make the water dance. That's when it's time to try and walk on water!

Of course, our sharks and gators have a continual debate about tourists:

Gators- "Taste Great!"
Sharks- "Less filling"

And you know that they both sponsored some recent advertisements in the north...
"Send more tourists... the last ones were Delicious!"

Hello,

As with any encounter it's best to check with the locals to do your homework. In these parts there has been no attack in a good 50+ years.

I have been in the water with cottonmouths, sharks, alligators, snapping turgles and the most dangerous thing i've yet to encounter is a 2" fish.

Ed

I've been around them in the springs at the cave sites. The one's we've haven't been very big. Like Wendy said they probably move them when they get too big, or they wonder off to find somplace lee crowded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom