Marine Life Alligator attacks Cooper River diver

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by any form of marine life including large and small animals, algae or plant life, and biotoxins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN should have fun with this one!

Can't see it. Site doesn't like my ad blocker software.
But not surprising since gators are a known hazard in the river.
GOOSE CREEK — Will Georgitis was thrilled to find several large fossilized shark teeth. But with only enough air for 10 more minutes in his scuba tank, it was time to surface.

As soon as his head broke the water line on April 15, Georgitis saw an alligator swimming nearby in the Cooper River.

"It made a beeline right at me," he said.

A foot away, the gator opened its jaws.

Thinking it was going for his head — a bite he believed would surely kill him — Georgitis threw up his right arm in a blocking move. The alligator clamped down on his forearm.

Anticipating the animal would twist his arm in a spin move to take him underwater, Georgitis wrapped his free arm and both legs around the body of the alligator so he would roll with it.

He's not sure how big the beast was, but he couldn't hook his ankles together when he wrapped his legs around it.

"And I'm 6' 2"," he said.

With the alligator's jaws clutching his arm from wrist to elbow, Georgitis took the screwdriver he uses to pry fossils out of the river bed and tried to stab the reptile in the eye.
He's not sure if he hit home, but the gator immediately shook him "like a rag doll" and dove to the bottom of the Cooper River near Goose Creek — where the lowest point is about 50 feet at that spot. The alligator pinned him to the bottom with the weight of its body. The only part of the gator he could still reach with the screwdriver was its gum line. He kept stabbing and struggling to get free.
Then his scuba tank went dry.
"I knew I was going to die right then and there," Georgitis said from his home in West Ashley.

The last thing he could think to try was ripping off his own arm. He planted both feet on the massive creature. The he pushed as hard as he could.
Georgitis isn't sure how, but the gator's teeth scraped over his arm instead of tearing it off. He broke free and bolted for the surface. There, a friend waiting in a boat dragged him out of the water.

"It was a living nightmare," Georgitis said

Dang! Pinned on the bottom in 50' of black water by a determined alligator and your air runs out. Sounds like a nightmare I would have. Wonder if he had a Phillips or a flat tip screwdriver. I know which one I would prefer.

Edit: Sent the link to the story to my SIL who has dived the Cooper River many times. looking for Meg teeth. She has been in the water with gators which are usually not aggressive to divers and suspects this was a "she" gator protecing her nest on the bank.

She has been in the water with gators which are usually not aggressive to divers and suspects this was a "she" gator protecing her nest on the bank.
If I recall correctly, female gators don't tend to get as large. What he described sounded quite large. American alligator.

Per that source, on average males get 3 feet longer, though females average around 8.2 feet, which ain't small!

One thing interesting in all this is the gator's perspective. When the man's head broke the surface, that gator likely wasn't seeing an adult human in the water. It might've seen something that, from its limited perspective at the surface, couldn't looked like a large turtle or swimming raccoon or beaver. I have to wonder what the gator thought it was going after.

You know when we're at the surface, our heads don't stick up far. Seen from water level, they wouldn't look large.

Saved by a screwdriver.. Hope he saved it; he should have it on display with the rest of his treasures.

when does the movie come out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom