Diving with alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two reasons that you will probably not see me dive freshwater in Florida, snakes and gators. My father is trying to talk me into visiting and he lives in Davenport over the winter. My answer, you won't catch me in freshwater with either of those creatures. I will take my chances with sharks because I find them to be graceful fish and I love to watch them swim.

As has been pointed out, gators are an ambush predator in shallow water. Well, I have to wade out through shallow water to get to a point where I can dive. I have no desire to become a gator's dinner or accidentally contact a cottonmouth (or worse, coral snake). They have a right to be there, I have a right not be hor'derves (sp.). If I respect the first right, the gators will be forced to respect the second right, LOL.

Still, I am forced to admit that the most dangerous (aside from the reef shark that was checking me out in Provo :) and that was fascinating more than scary) fish that I have run into are still the Gilboa trout. They have been known to bite through drysuits.:)

diverbrian once bubbled...
Two reasons that you will probably not see me dive freshwater in Florida, snakes and gators. My father is trying to talk me into visiting and he lives in Davenport over the winter. My answer, you won't catch me in freshwater with either of those creatures. I will take my chances with sharks because I find them to be graceful fish and I love to watch them swim.

As has been pointed out, gators are an ambush predator in shallow water. Well, I have to wade out through shallow water to get to a point where I can dive. I have no desire to become a gator's dinner or accidentally contact a cottonmouth (or worse, coral snake). They have a right to be there, I have a right not be hor'derves (sp.). If I respect the first right, the gators will be forced to respect the second right, LOL.

Still, I am forced to admit that the most dangerous (aside from the reef shark that was checking me out in Provo :) and that was fascinating more than scary) fish that I have run into are still the Gilboa trout. They have been known to bite through drysuits.:)

Hey,

Davenport isn't far from me, so if you wanna dive some fresh water while you are here, I'd be happy to hold your hand in the water and protect you from the snakes and gators.

about Queen snakes! :tease:

Reality 101... like any predator, snakes and gators love to ambush their prey. They can't do that without weeds/grass etc being present. If you punch your way through lillipads, bullrushes or the like your chance of being bit by anything go WAY up. If you enter from a shore without the pre-requisite cover your odds of being "attacked" are close to nil.

diverbrian once bubbled...

Hello,

A few things you are overlooking. Alligators like murky water which is a contradiction to diving. :) If your diving in the springs and have great vis odds of you seeing a gator is slim. Besides even if you did roam into the alligator's path odds are you will be left alone because you are not the intended food source and you are to large. Not saying you will be attacked if the gator is provoked.

As for snakes there happens to be many myths floating around about snakes not biting while in the water. I have had snakes brush by me while making a line to the shore to get out of MY way. I've also ran into sleeping snakes 1/2 burried in the mulm. Like I said before you have more to fear from those small 2" fish that has no fear of divers than you do of the big things.

Ed

Wendy once bubbled...

Hey,

Davenport isn't far from me, so if you wanna dive some fresh water while you are here, I'd be happy to hold your hand in the water and protect you from the snakes and gators.

I didn't think of the visibility issue (which is another reason that sharks don't bother me much, I can see them and hence keep a respectful distance. Ok, I watch too much Croc Hunter.

But, you did bring up a valid point, I am the only diver in the family. The thought of diving any strange water environment without a known dive buddy in that environment is not conducive to a good night's sleep. (But, then again, that is exactly what I did in Provo.) As I have said, where I am from, the worst thing that I MAY run into would be a snapping turtle. We just don't have the "dangerous" aquatic life up here. So, Yes, the thought of it would bother me until I have seen it. In other words, if I visit Dad, I have no dive buddy with me. They are all up here right now. For that reason alone, if I choose to visit, I may take you up on that offer if you mind staying out of caves as I am not yet experienced enough for THAT kind of diving.

Thanks for clearing things up.
:)

Hmmm.. FL.. summertime.. gators matin.. ya'll aren't catchin my butt in fresh water this time of year unless I'm hunting gator.. but since I didnt get a permit this year, its not a possibility. See ya at Peace River in the cold months :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom