Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShallowDiverDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planing on diving a few central Florida springs in the near future and some of them have the potential for a gator habitant. Perhaps it should depend on the size of the gator, but generally speaking, how would YOU respond if a gator attacked. Purely a hypothetical scenario and as such is unlikely, but indulge me anyway just for kicks.

be prepared for the pain!

Keep reg in mouth, it'll want to pull you under and drown you. Go for the eyes with thumbs or better yet between the eys with a bangstick.

Best bet, dive in clear spring water and avoid the buggers...

cerich:
be prepared for the pain!

Keep reg in mouth, it'll want to pull you under and drown you. Go for the eyes with thumbs or better yet between the eys with a bangstick.

Best bet, dive in clear spring water and avoid the buggers...

Is a bangstick a device used to keep animals at a distance? Is this a scuba/underwater device?

A definition of Bangstick - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangstick.

I don't think there is a good answer as to what to do once you are being attacked. I think you need to do everything you can to prevent from being attacked.

Short of a bangstick, if the gator wants to win, he will.

fndmylove:
Is a bangstick a device used to keep animals at a distance? Is this a scuba/underwater device?

If I'm not mistaken they are illegal in many places?? Anyways, the device is a gun underwater with a short barrel normally in .44 and .357 caliber. However, I think it is probably very effective.

This is a tough one to field, because I think in most instances, the gator's going to win if it's big enough. Smaller gators, I don't think are going to attack, so it's going to be a larger one. If your on land, and one gets a hold of your arm or leg, have you dive buddy, if you have one, jump immediately on it's back and cover it's eyes with his hands, attempting to prevent it from doing "death roll" ... that in and of itself will almost certainly tear (twist) your limb off. Once ontop, i'd forget all about whether it's legal or not to kill it, and try to insert a knife at the base of it's skull, severing the spinal cord from the brain - possibly stabbing it in the eye might work, but could make it even angrier. If it's in the water and coming your way, submerge. I don't think they attack underwater. If you get bit, and they start doing a death roll, something's going to give - probably your limb. If they submerge, hopefully your buddy will follow it down and help to "immobilize" the gator with a base skull insertion, or get it to give up by an eye insertion. He can even help you with your regulator. The idea of the gator taking you down is not to tear you apart and devour you underwater, but to drown you. Then bring up back up to eat. If you do get free, i'd still consider eliminating the animal since it attacked a human openly, and will more than likely attempt it again.

-----

Mike.

:D it's Florida dude, like the Brady sign on 75 says, "Be Warned" (actually the sign reassures me...)

Bangsticks are what is used when alligator hunting, they work.

Not so sure with Gators but I know sea water crocs will attack u/w... I have some sick ( and I mean sick) pictures I took in Borneo many moons ago.

In my 40 years of diving in Florida waters, I have only heard of one incident where a scuiba diver has been bitten. The guy snuck into a golf course at nite to dive for golf balls...got his leg chomped.

However, numerous cases of snorkelers and swimmers getting attacked are out there

I personally would prefer diving with sharks anyday...I don't trust gators!

But don't worry too much about gators in the springs, they don't frequent them as much lakes...though there is huge resident gator at Alexander...he's never bothered anyone

cudachaser:
In my 40 years of diving in Florida waters, I have only heard of one incident where a scuiba diver has been bitten. The guy snuck into a golf course at nite to dive for golf balls...got his leg chomped.

However, numerous cases of snorkelers and swimmers getting attacked are out there

I personally would prefer diving with sharks anyday...I don't trust gators!

But don't worry too much about gators in the springs, they don't frequent them as much lakes...though there is huge resident gator at Alexander...he's never bothered anyone

I'm headed to Alexander...how HUGE?

"death roll"

well, back in the day...we used to go to Ross Allen's reptile institute and "Tarzan" wrestled them there.

yea...stay in clear spring water and don't travel down the river unless you are in a canoe.

and for pete's sake stay out of jellyfish lake...croccodiles are worse.

Back
Top Bottom