Diving with Gators present??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jldodd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, I thought I would ask you South Florida divers for your opinion:

I've been asked to check out a lake on a local ranch that is one of the few natural lakes in the area (meaning it's not a muck lake) which may be an interesting dive. However the landowner mentioned that there is a resident 11' alligator!

So immediately, my plan is to forget the dive but it made me think of a question, that is somewhat answered by this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/168255-alligator-attack-defense-fundamentals.html

Do any of you have experience (read: crazy) diving with alligators present? I know this has to be a common occurrence if you dive anywhere inland in Florida. I know that the Search and Rescue divers in this area must encounter this issue when diving in the canals or any other wet spot that some idiot drives their car into.

That's a big freaking gator! Here's my only experience with an alligator during a dive. We didn't know we were supposed to leave if an alligator showed up, they just told us not to go beyond the ropes. BTW, they aren't scared of bubbles, this one was gliding down intending to land in the sand under me and I figured the bubbles would scare him. You'd be amazed how fast you can back up when you realize that gator is 10 feet away and closing and the bubbles aren't spooking him. I don't know if he would have landed on top of me if I held my ground but I wasn't sticking around to find out.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'd have been warming my wetsuit being that close to a gator underwater! Those are some GREAT pictures.

The South African special forces were deployed in a river to infiltrate a harbour...they lost quite a few divers to crocodiles. They have no fear of bubbles or divers, and standing your ground just makes it easier for them to get you. I would imagine that aligators are the same.

My dive team dives in the vicinity of alligators all the time. In fact, we will probably be doing so tomorrow. That being said, I certainly would not recommend voluntarily diving near a gator that large. If we see a gator before we dive, and it's over 5', we will call in the FWC and have them removed. If it's under 5' we generally deal with it unless it displays signs of aggression (ie turns sideways and lifts itself until it's sitting high in the water, coming close to our area of operations, etc).

During any dives we do, we have a safety diver that is responsible for responding to our underwater divers in the event of an emergency. This diver also has an ar-15 (loaded) at his position do deal with any agressive gators during the dive. We have come very close on several occasions to popping gators displaying aggression during our dives (and on one dive very very close), but have not had to shoot any yet.

The South African special forces were deployed in a river to infiltrate a harbour...they lost quite a few divers to crocodiles. They have no fear of bubbles or divers, and standing your ground just makes it easier for them to get you. I would imagine that aligators are the same.

Perhaps viz was insufficient to deploy them but I would think otherwise perhaps purchase that commando team some bang sticks. If this story is true that is terrible.

I would be wary of an 11 foot alligator.

N

With a gator of that size, nope, not me in the water. I have no interest in goin on a 'gator roll' and being shoved under a log until soggy and easier to eat. I would have a fryer heating up and gettin my gator gigging gear ready to go though! :)

Once "Boots" is Gator Fritters, I'd dive the lake :)

11' is way too big for fritters. The meat is stringy and tough.

Think of the "wings" though!

Naw... I don't think it'd be tough, and if it is thats what a tenderizer is for :D Run over it a few times with the Jeep and good to go. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom