Diving with Gators present??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11' is way too big for fritters. The meat is stringy and tough.

Give anything a heavy dose of Everglades seasoning and it will taste just fine, although the Jeep tenderizer sounds appetizing!

Think of the "wings" though!

Naw... I don't think it'd be tough, and if it is thats what a tenderizer is for :D Run over it a few times with the Jeep and good to go. :)

I like that concept, as a new Jeep owner I will add that to my list of useful capabilities. Thanks Conch Cracker.

N

Mr. Rabbit, those are some awesome pics, I wish I had been there to take a few!

My understanding is that it's uber-rare to see a gator in a spring, because the water is too clear, and they can't hunt/sneak on anything for food.

Mr. Rabbit, those are some awesome pics, I wish I had been there to take a few!

Sweetie you need to check my profile pic :wink:

It was amazing to see one like that, I didn't realize what incredibly beautiful creatures they are until that encounter. Some of the fish had been bumping the gator's snout and he was ignoring them so I figured he wouldn't mind a few pictures as long as we didn't stay too long or get too close. He's not quite as big as he looks in the photos, only about 5-6 feet long and I'm not quite as close as the angle makes me look.

My understanding is that it's uber-rare to see a gator in a spring, because the water is too clear, and they can't hunt/sneak on anything for food.

I had been told they don't go in the springs because of the pH of the water LOL! Evidently nobody told this one or the other one we saw in there that day. From what I'm told the gators tend to frequent that spring (Alexander) and a handful had been removed for stalking swimmers not too long after that picture was taken.
Ber :lilbunny:

Sweetie you need to check my profile pic :wink:

Doh! no offense meant (I fit this description too), but like most cave divers in the water, you look more like a black seal that got caught in too many six-pack rings and other ocean trash hahaha!

I've spent some time in the Everglades kayaking and such. I've noticed that gators under 10 feet almost always swim the other way as I approach. One day, I had one that was over 10 feet get in the water and swim toward me and disappear under the water as it approached. That was a little unnerving...

So my new rule of thumb is look out if they start getting upwards of 10 ft, the predator and prey rolls may reverse unexpectedly. :D

Regardless of size I think the major issue is how acclimated a particular gator is to people. That's why the State of Florida is so severe with its penalties for feeding them.

Now I am the greedy one here. I know others have thought this but of course I am going to be the one to step up.

Go ahead, get in the water. Just leave the rest of your gear to me and I will be sure to keep it wet and happy. :D

ARE YOU FREAKIN NUTZ ? lol..... Do Not go near that gator, he'll eat you man! This is what you'll look like:sharkattack:

Did some diving in some springs in Florida long time ago with 2 six foot gators watching from the edges of the spring. Very nervous even then. No way with a 11 foot gator! Sharks yes, gators no..........

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom