GBR conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quinn_B

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has dove the GBR recently. I did a Mike Ball expedition in June 2019 and absolutely had a blast but I could tell some sites were definitely a shell of what they used to be. But it still had a crazy amount of biodiversity and some of the best dives that I've done over my lifetime. Especially seeing the Minke whales underwater.

The bio diversity is still there and the marine life is amazing, but the coral has taken a bit hit over the last few years

This year the cyclones has helped clean up the area and more tolerant species are returning but its going to take time.
In the short, there are still heavily bleached reefs but the majority are recovering and whichever trip you take it will still be a great experience.

Heading there in about 3 weeks and mentally bracing myself for the bleaching, but diving the GBR has been on my bucket list since I was a teenager and I'm sure it's still going to be worth it.

I'll post here with pics and video once I'm back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom