Gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juansale

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone!

I've been diving for about 3 years but I still consider myself as a beginner. My last course was the AOWD, however I'm planning to get the Rescue and Dive Master in june or july (Suggestions on places to go and get them are welcome). So, that's why I decided to get my own gear but I don't know which of the following packages would be the best one for me (Of course there are millions of them but these are the ones I can afford).

I would really appreciate if some of you could give me your thoughts on them:

Aeris A1 with Aeris EX 100 BC and Gauges, and Octo discounts on sale Aeris
Mares Package #1
Cressi START-ER Package
Aeris Complete Package
Oceanic Package #2
Cressi Open Water Package
Oceanic & Aeris Get Wet Package
Aeris EX 100 Weight Integrated Scuba Gear Package - JoeDiverAmerica.com
Scuba Gear Package - JoeDiver's Economical Regulator, Octo, BC and Gauges - JoeDiverAmerica.com
444 Mares Scuba Gear Package - Mares Regulator, Octo, BCD, and Gauge - JoeDiverAmerica.com
Aeris EX 100 Weight Integrated Scuba Gear Package - JoeDiverAmerica.com

I also found the folowing feature to get a customized package. So If none of the onces above is a good choice, what gear combination would you suggest from this page?

Build your own Custom Scuba Gear Package - JoeDiverAmerica.com

Thank you in advance for your help!

I avoid packages.

1. AL Titan LX or Scubapro G260/Mk17, two standard second stages
2. Highland or similar Brass and Glass spg on 26 inch hose
3. Oxy wing and backplate and a weight belt or Scubapro Glide Pro or Pilot BC
4. Atomic Frameless or Scubapro Frameless mask
5. Scubapro Jet Fins or Mares Avanti Quattro fins
6. A nitrox compatible computer such as those from Oceanic or Aeris or similar

Note, my recommendation on the new Scubapro G260 is based on years of experience with Scubapro products and in particular their regulators. You might also find a smoking closeout on the G250. The AL Titan LX is possibly one of the best all around, general purpose regulators ever made and is easily serviced world wide with performance second to none. The Scubapro G250/G260 are a little more tech oriented.

N

Given your location I doubt you're going to be diving in cold water (mid 40's and less maybe) but if there is any chance you will, you should take that into account. I would certainly stay away from ScubaFlow (ScubaPro) regulators if so. Apeks is a good place to start for cold water.

If you plan on being a Divemaster skip the unbalance regulators and you will want a computer. Also you may want to check with the dive shop in your area.

buy it from the guy that will teach you dive with you and repair your stuff and get the stuff he likes to work on if price is important check on HIS or HER used rentals

Be careful about buying gear online. Some companies will void their warranty if you purchase gear from an "unauthorized" dealer.

First off, are you thinking of Dive Master OR Master Diver, totally different certs but they often get confused. If it's DM and you intend to work as one, many shops require you to use the same brand they sell might as well get that brand to start with. If it's MD, then any brand will do.

Another thing to consider is after the sales service, you will from time to time need the gear serviced. I don't know about in Colombia but some shops here in the US get unhappy when you bring in internet purchased regs. Also, almost none of them will work on regs that they are not dealers for, getting parts can be an issue for them. You need to keep service in mind when you purchase a reg. IMO, buying a reg that has local support is important. Quality wise, any of the modern regs will do fine, after sales service and support is a totally different matter. My suggestion would be to purchase a brand that is common in your area if you are going after MD or a non-working DM, if you are really going for working DM then check with the shop you intent do DM with about their policies before making a decision.

Nemrod's list is a good one IMO, in fact it's pretty similar to what I use, except I like older SP regs. Right now there are good prices on the SP MK17/G250V, an excellent regulator, because they just introduced the new G260.

A good place to do the rescue/DM internship is coconut tree divers in Roatan, one of the Honduran bay islands. The course director, Will Welbourne, has a lot of experience and is a good guy. It's a fun place to live for a few months and not too terribly far from Colombia. There are also lots of places on Utila, which is another island off Honduras.

If you end up going there, there's a mares distributor on Roatan. I bought mares fins and a mask there at a very reasonable price, although the atomic frameless is the best mask I've ever owned. Mares has decent computers too; although to me any computer will work fine. There are MANY stupid bells and whistles on dive computers. Personally I want to see depth, dive time, N2 loading, and O2 loading when using nitrox, and that's about it. I don't really care about NDL too much, I typically plan my dives so I know I'm not slipping into deco, and at the end of a dive NDL is meaningless, while a graphic representation of N2 loading is very useful IMO. Maybe water temp, all computers do that. They do figure NDLs and off-gassing differently, so you can consider that, but really the best way to buy and use a computer is to get some basic understanding of deco theory, the models that are commonly used, and the basic physiology. Then you'll dive intelligently and manage profiles well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom