Gear Help for Cold Water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my gear at the LDS. I wanted to buy the life support equipment from someone I know, and who can service the gear. A wetsuit, that I'd order online if the cost & timing met my needs.

And just in case you're thinking ordering online will save money, my LDS sold me a BC, regs, and computer for less than I could get online (for new gear) and threw in a retractor.

I also bought lights from them. While not life support, the shipping cost (batteries are heavy) equalized sales price.

On the servicing side, the LDS will probably be able to service anything. But what they might do for a make they don't carry, is put it in a box, ship it away, wait, and charge a mint for the service. The annual inspection on a set of regs, for example, would run $60 if it isn't a make they carry, and you're waiting at least 2 weeks to get them back.

I reference this page frequently when looking up gear for ice...

Diving under Antarctic ice. There is a lot of information there from a source that's not trying to sell you something. I don't know if any of the e-mail links are still valid, as the crews rotate between winter and summer (summer now), but this time last year, I e-mailed back and forth with a few people over there to build a modified Sherwoood Maximus like they are using. I have the Sherwood part numbers if you're interested.

My LDS will meet any price. Also over time, I have been given/lent equipment to try and sometimes keep. Older models get discounted nicely.
Over time your LDS, ifthey have any sense, will treat you well and discount list price, This is certainly true when buying as much as you are. Its also a source of great information. I have learned more spending time at the store than from any number of classes.
But there is not always an LDS with a technical bent, And the prices in Canada are a factor that just can't be disregarded if it is a significant sum.
I will put in a good word for Atomics regs for cold water diving. The Monel is supposed to be good for ice diving, etc.

I prefer to buy from my LDS, but as an example the base mares rebel is well over 300$.
online its 150$, and shipping+duties is only 50$ more tops if done right.
thats hard to find that much value added in buying locally.
A new inflator on my BC set me back 85$.
and fins are aprox 2.5x more money here then online.

When I was buying my gear I got a very good deal on a Dive Rite cold water reg from Dive Sports.

http://www.divesports.com/mall/diverite_reg_rg2500ICE.asp

At the time I got the first stage, second stage, and octo for US$378. PM Phil Ellis here and see if he has any specials like that, if you don't buy at your LDS.

I can also second the recommendation for Dive Tank, I bought a drysuit from them.

As to neoprene vs bag suit, I am not experienced enough to come down strong on one side or the other. I can say that I have a compressed neoprene suit, and my wife has a regular neoprene suit, and neither of us needs expensive specialized thermals to dive comfortably in 45F water.

CODMAN:
2- I agree 100% if you can't get it serviced near you, don't buy it. But I don't think your LDS will turn down servicing your stuff just because you didn't buy it there... $$$$$ he makes money on the servicing... It isn't free!!
One comment on this bit: It's not always true. There are some LDSs out there that really get snooty and pitch a fit when you ask them to work on something you bought elsewhere. Other's don't. Guess which ones get my money...

That said, I would check them out with a simple "test": Ask them if they can service some "used" Mares regs you are considering buying "from a friend". They can't reasonably get mad about that situation, and if they do, you have your answer. And by the time you need reg service, a year down the road, sure enough, they'll be "used". :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom