Gear Question- Backplate- Pocket(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't put a zipper between me and anything important. If it jams, it would take the guy at the dry-cleaner/ tailor to fix it, and he doesn't dive with people who trap important equipment behind zippers :wink:

Before I just bit the bullet and had pockets glued onto my wetsuits, I used a big velcro pocket that slid onto the waist strap. I'd hold this in place with a weight belt buckle, just like a can light.

For typical warm-water vacation recreational diving, this gave me a place for stuff, and it functioned nicely as a surrogate for a can light (as a place to loop the long hose under).

All the best, James

I wouldn't put a zipper between me and anything important. If it jams, it would take the guy at the dry-cleaner/ tailor to fix it, and he doesn't dive with people who trap important equipment behind zippers :wink:

I thought that was what those funny stubby knives were for?

Eric

Velcro pockets are a PITA. A zippered one like the ones from oms with two compartments solved my issue.

Another -1 for zip pockets. Too easy to jam and leave you without immediate access to the critical kit you carry.

Not quite sure why velcro is a PITA... it offers sufficient security, immediate access and cannot jam or lock. Everything should be bolt-snapped to bungees in the pockets anyway....

I had professionally sewn in pockets on my wet suit before unfortunately the pocket out-lived the wet suit!
Shorts is more flexible.

Oms zipper pocket going on 50 dives and if anything the zipper is getting easier to operate, not jamming. The pocket from DR is a PITA simply based on the shape and the square inches of velcro used to keep it shut. It is a long rectangle with so much velcro you could not open it with one hand, and it took substantial effort even wit two hands. I placed cover up on 60% of the velcro but eventually abandoned it based on shape. The oms zipper pocket is a recktangle placed sideways on the belt, not horizontal.

Personally I do not need a "swiss army knife of pockets" to get it done. I have the one pocket as described, spool and reel clipped off to but ring, dsmb stowed between plate and wing.
Eric

I have been using a Scubapro two compartment zippered pouch (similar to the OMS which I bought and installed on my GF Express Tech) for close to 300 dives and have had no problem for the type of diving that I am doing. It seems des center on my belt and straddle the loop portion of my crotch strap. On the BP I use with my doubles, I also have a DR pouch (velcro operated) installed on the left side of my belt.

The pocket from DR is a PITA simply based on the shape and the square inches of velcro used to keep it shut. It is a long rectangle with so much velcro you could not open it with one hand, and it took substantial effort even wit two hands. I placed cover up on 60% of the velcro but eventually abandoned it based on shape.

I found that I really like the Dive Rite pocket shape. It is my main pocket. I dive with a Fusion Bullet, but I don't really care for the pockets that much. I found the velcro area too small to reattach easily with restricted mobility (on my left side), and harder to open with one hand. I found the DR pockets easier to open and close. True, there is a lot of velcro to open, but I find that it is easier to close too, because you may not be able to get it lined up perfectly. I found this works good for me, others, maybe not.

Currently, I dive with the clip-on DR pocket over top of the sewn-on Bullet pocket. I will carefully detach the Bullet pocket and dive with the DR pocket for a bit. If I ever decide to go back to the Bullet pockets, I'll sew them back on. I have waist lanyard in place on the harness. I clip the pocket on and off before and after the dive. It is held in place firmly by the leg strap. I do not have issues with it rotating or coming loose/unclipped during the dive. I wish the DR pocket was a tad bigger though.

My old suit had a glued-on Halcyon pocket. I really liked that one. It was the larger than the DR, and it had a small zippered front flap. I might try and make something similar to the DR pocket mounting style with the Halcyon pocket. Been thinking about it for a while.

Oms zipper pocket going on 50 dives and if anything the zipper is getting easier to operate, not jamming.

Not much of a sample size... and based on what diving? I'd pretty much guarantee the zipper getting gnarly on some of the dives I do (wreck penetrations).

I've had two OMS zip pockets; one sewn on my old wetsuit (vertical) and another that slides on the waistband (horizontal). As zippers go, it was quite robust... but now consigned to the 'great crate under the stairs'... where much of my trialled and failed kit experiments end up...

The pocket from DR is a PITA simply based on the shape and the square inches of velcro used to keep it shut. It is a long rectangle with so much velcro you could not open it with one hand and it took substantial effort even wit two hands....

Dude..... gym.....go! :wink:

Personally I do not need a "swiss army knife of pockets" to get it done. I have the one pocket as described, spool and reel clipped off to but ring, dsmb stowed between plate and wing.

For OW diving, this discussion is probably splitting hairs. For more aggressive diving activities - particularly those involving routine contact with mud, silt and sand... the decision becomes more critical.

I don't carry anything I don't need for a dive. I'm pretty anally retentive in my minimalism. If I carry it, I need access to it... immediate and guaranteed. Zippers don't provide those guarantees. Velcro does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom