Gear Storage Hints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I often share this information with my students, but thought since I have a little free time I'd share some hints with a broader audience. :D

I usually rinse my gear in either a pelican box or a rubber-maid box in my driveway. I roll out a garment rack I bought at Target for $60 and hang all of the wet stuff on it. When it is done dripping, I roll it back into my garage. I have a heavy duty rolling rack that I can hang several wetsuits and BCs on when they are dry, but that was more expensive and doesn't have the shelves.

You can't beat this garment rack for $60! It's got some shelves for extra stuff. Yep, it rusts but mine is 4 years old and is still working just fine.

Supreme Garment Rack

I use bungee cords tossed over the rack to hang my fins on. (I have several pairs and if my husband tripped over a one; I'd never hear the end of it.) It's bad enough to hear, "If you only can use two fins at a time, why do you need so many???" (You can insert any piece of gear into that sentence and he's said it... :shakehead:)

I also use small bungees to hang up my regulator setups.

On the end of my garment rack, I have a shoe organizer hanging. It keeps all the small stuff in a nice neat place. Make it easy to find things I use often since the pockets are clear and I can see things easily.

From Target I also bought some of those pants hanger, the ones that are straight with the pinchers (clothes pins thingies) on the end. I use those to dry my gloves and weight pockets.

I have some fabric paint that I use to mark my gear. Have you ever noticed how much of the gear looks the same (Akona bags, weight bags, weight pockets, gloves, etc)??? I use bright yellow, works great and lasts forever. Got a big bottle of it at Michael's Craft Store for less than $5.

So, there's some hints on how to organize and dry gear.

Attachments

• bungee hangers for fins.jpg
    bungee hangers for fins.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 139
  • garmet rack.jpg
    garmet rack.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 156
  • gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 104
  • shoe hanger.jpg
    shoe hanger.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 165
Nice tips!

Do you store your regs like that long term, or just while drying? I've heard many warnings about the constant weight on the hoses.

I just wish I had a garage I could wheel such a thing in and out of...

Mine, for the most part, stays in the truck.

That's pretty organized.

:wink:

---
Ken

LOL. I have way too much stuff to keep it all in my truck.

I usually remove the computer (quick disconnect) from a reg set up and leave them hanging there. They get used often. I do have a reg set that I don't use often that is in a reg bag. I haven't heard anything about the weight of a regulator putting pressure on the hose.

My newest reg is one of the new braided hoses. I'll have to give a little thought on that; perhaps, I'll buy a few reg bags. :D

Nice. Does that big thing go in the overhead bin or under your seat? :eyebrow:

Actually, I have the exact same setup, except for the shoe storage thingy. I think I'll buy one tomorrow.

Now come up with something where I can store three sets of doubles and 12 single tanks!

Nice setup and great idea. I really like the portability (rollability) of it.

I siliconed a plastic set of closet rod holders to the tile in my shower. Across that I put a piece of heavy walled pvc pipe. The pipe just sets in the holders when I need it and pops out when I'm done. The cups are barely noticeable. I hang all my gear on travel scuba hangers and rinse everything in the shower with the shower wand, then let it hang overnight to dry.

I had looked at some of the portable garment racks but thought they wouldn't support the weight of all my gear while wet. I really like what you did, especially since you can rinse everything outside.

Jack

That's a pretty neat idea. I may have to borrow that for some of my stuff.

I usually let my stuff soak for a while after I get off the boat. I use 4 regular buckets, the 5 gallon kind you get get just about everywhere.. In two of them I drilled a whole bunch of holes in them. I load my gear into those two and put a cover on them. As for the other two buckets, I fill them with water then then place the buckets with all the holes In them inside the buckets with the water.

I then let them soak for a while. I then take everything out and just need to put it over the deck railing and let it dry.

I use a rack similar to that. I was having rust issues in that the bottoms of my suits were getting rust spots on them. Went to Home Depot and got some foam insulation tubing at 1.50 for 6 feet. Spilt it down the middle and wrapped it around the post. No more problem.

Gil

Back
Top Bottom