Gekko temp questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shhya1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive a Suunto Gekko & I've been suspicious about the temp readings. This past week I purposely checked the temp at the bottom of our dive & held it there where it read 50deg. I watched it for like 20-30 secs. But when I came out & checked it, my comp said that the lowest temp was 57. How can this be??

I have the Gekko's half brother, the Vyper. I have seen real time temps also report as lower than when you review the dive. In the case of the Vyper, this also appears when you download the data to your PC and review it there.

My Vyper is wrist mount and I think there is bit of delay in reporting water temps due to it being held against a wetsuit. I wonder if console mount comps do the same thing?

The Gekko does not report the lowest temperature on the dive. It only logs one temperature: the temperature at the deepest depth. As the temperature readings are quite laggy (especially if you have the Gekko tight against a neoprene sleeve), you will likely see a significant difference between the logged temperature and the coldest temperature.

I need to verify this, but I believe the logged temperature is the temperature reading at the time in your dive at which you first reached your deepest depth, not the temperature reading at the time in your dive at which you were last at your deepest depth (with depth being quantized to the precision of the log). If it were the latter, it could be closer to the actual temperature at the deepest depth of the dive, as the temperature sensor would have had more time to approach equilibrium.

My vyper takes a long time to adjust to temp changes.

Typically 4-5 minutes.

No idea why.

Also the way the logging works, it doesnt store a temp reading everydata point like depth. It takes an initial one on turning on then again at max depth. Therefore download will not always show the actual temp at that part of a dive.

Remeber also if its using default 30 second sampling rate, if you only held it there for 20 seconds it may have missed it.

On the Gekko, the book answer is "No."

On the higher-end ones (Vyper, Vyper2, Vytec, and so on), certainly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom