Gekkos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know about what pressure guage you want, what reg set up you have etc. If you want it all in a console, as separates, etc.

Best thing to do honestly, is to talk to a local shop and get some pointers there. There are many, many choices.

couple of points from my side:

- Suunto makes great equipment. They are known for being a little on the conservative side, but I like it that way. I have had a Vyper since they came out, and have been very happy.
- Wrist vs. console mount will get a lot of opinions, and you need to decide what you like best.
- The DIR crowd will recommend a simple SPG with no boot or console to keep things minimal and streamlined.
- In the simplest form, all you need is a SPG, dive computer, and a timing device. Compass is optional, but highly recommended. How you wear these devices is up to you.

Try something and see how it works. If you don't like it, change it.

Dive safe.

The gekko is very easy to use...even for someone who does not do well with regular computers. My only criticism is that it is very conservative, a good thing at times, but also difficult when everyone else is not diving a Suunto and still have 5-7 minutes before deco.

I personally hate console mount as find them very hard to see at the most irritating moments.

Ascenting trying to reel in using both hands for example on the wrist its easy to see depth and rate, you need a 3rd hand to do that with a console. Lifting a diver is another and so on. I also find it makes the consoles bulkier and more annoying.

I still dont agree Suuntos are overly conservative either.

FWIW the gekko can now be tricked into downloading dives like the more expensive vyper too which makes it even more attractive.

The thing I hate about the Gekko is that it trys to sell me car insurance during surface intervas.

I really like my Gekko. It serves me well. I'd concur with the wrist mount over the console mount, for basically the same reasons as String said (plus general ease of use).

As for whether it's easy enough for a new diver, I had mine completely figured out before the checkout trip for my OW class, but I'm a geek, so that might not say much. My significant buddy (in Japan now) and I went on a little dive weekend a little while after that, and I taught her everything she needed to know to dive it in a matter of maybe 5 minutes. When her older sister started diving, I recommended the Gekko. She picked up diving with it in no time flat, and it wasn't hard for her to understand the deeper settings (nitrox, alarms, etc).

Go for it. (And as for the "their computer/table/schedule is more liberal than mine" thing, don't worry about it. If it's a big problem for someone, you're probably not a good match for them, anyway -- and anyone can call any dive at any time, after all.)

Great thread since the wife and I are planning on buying one in a week.
Would like to hear more about tricks to make it download !:eyebrow:

If you want to download it, search for CIBDiving's thread on the topic. It's an excellent hack. You'll just need to get a download cable (from Suunto or DIY).

A shop in alabama, it's either Dive Sports or Dive Inn, has a current SB special for the XS scuba brass SPG. It's italian made, identical to the dive-rite SPG, with a 24" hose. I can't remember exactly what I paid but it was a good deal.

You should probably post this on the computer forum, where you'll get all sorts of opinions. I personally prefer a wrist computer, but I understand how beginning divers might be more comfortable with their air pressure and time/depth info in one place. Eventually, though, you'll find that you only need to check air occasionally and you'll be checking depth much more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom