genesis titanium oz regulator, should I go for it?great price.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacory1

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a brand new genesis oz titanium regulator for a great price. $375.00, with complete factory warranty.It got great ratings in the latest Rodales poll.However I read through this whole message board and rarely find anyone even discussing the Genesis line.It's all Apek,Zeagle,Poseidon etc... Not to mention I'm going to get nitrox certified this summer and Im reading many concerns regarding the use of titanium regulators with nitrox. It makes me think twice but this seems like such a great deal. Everywhere else I've seen this regulator it goes for $700.00 to $800.00. Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.I have until Jan. 26th to take advantage of this offer so any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just picked up a Mares Titanium Planet reg. After I got it I noticed that it isn't recommended for Nitrox. I'm not sure if it's the titanium or what but you may want to check if you're planning on getting Nitrox certified.

I have one of these and while I have never used nitrox with it it is an excellent unit for recreational diving, at least mine has been. I have owned it about 3 years and have never had a problem with it.

I know of one reg mfg. Atomic Aquatics that says their Ti reg is okay for Nitrox but only if for dedicated usage. I find this recommendation odd because in my mind there is no difference in the purity of the gas if the Nitrox is made via continuous blending just the O2 content. When people discuss high O2 it is usually in the context of above 50%.

Interestingly Genesis says they are using Monel for the internals. Which was Atomic does for their M1 which is rated for high O2.

The Atomic T2 was supposed to be dedicated if used with nitrox, but about a year or so ago Atomic upgraded the T2 to a T2x, which per Atomic doesn't have to be dedicated. (Frankly, I didn't bother with the dedicated thing as I only used recreational nitrox of 32 or 36 with my T2 anyway.) But when Atomic released the T2x they also made kits available to convert the T2s into T2xs so dedication wouldn't be "required" any longer. I had my LDS order the kit, which cost me $75, for which I got a plug stamped "monel" that screws into the top of my reg, a new o-ring or maybe two, and a purge cover that says "T2x."

Back to the OP, I don't know anything about Genesis regs but that certainly sounds like a great price for a titanium reg so it's not like you're taking much of a chance on it.

The Atomic T2 was supposed to be dedicated if used with nitrox, but about a year or so ago Atomic upgraded the T2 to a T2x, which per Atomic doesn't have to be dedicated. (Frankly, I didn't bother with the dedicated thing as I only used recreational nitrox of 32 or 36 with my T2 anyway.) But when Atomic released the T2x they also made kits available to convert the T2s into T2xs so dedication wouldn't be "required" any longer. I had my LDS order the kit, which cost me $75, for which I got a plug stamped "monel" that screws into the top of my reg, a new o-ring or maybe two, and a purge cover that says "T2x."

Back to the OP, I don't know anything about Genesis regs but that certainly sounds like a great price for a titanium reg so it's not like you're taking much of a chance on it.

...BTW, I very recently bought a slightly used T2......it cost $ 75 for a 'new' purge cover and a couple Nitrox compatable O-rings ??? I'm wondering exactly what the difference is between the O-ring material used in the T2 versus the T2x ? Pretty much every reg made in the last decade is automatically equipped with O-rings compatable up to EAN 40 already.....I'm not blowing $ 75 on a new purge cover but am wondering if I am required to get my T2 O-rings swapped out ?

...um, this thread is 7 years old.......

Now THAT'S hilarious!

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Wonder if and how the reg worked out for the guy.

Regarding the kit, it cost me $75 to get a new purge cover, a couple (maybe just one, can't really remember) of o-rings and the "monel" stamped plug that screws into the top of the reg. If anything, I felt like I had just paid $75 for a small threaded plug, not much bigger than a thumbtack, with the o-ring(s) and purge cover tossed in for free.

Regarding the monel plug, I have no idea what it does or even what it's really called, btw.

With respect to the replacement o-rings, I have no idea why they were included other than maybe its a good idea to replace them when screwing in the plug. I doubt you need to swap yours for nitrox compatibility since the T2's already nitrox compatible.

And as far as the new purge cover, the new one says "T2x" and replaces the old "T2," which I assume is to let folks know whenever I'm getting air after diving nitrox that the reg isn't supposed to be dedicated, unlike the T2.

Not that anybody really pays much attention, in my experience. I just wanted to avoid any potential hassles down the road in case someone actually raised the issue when I was switching back and forth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom