Vessel German woman missing after Sea Legend fire - Red Sea

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Liveaboard fires and sinkings seem so common in the Red. No way I'd board one without my own Smoke & CO alarm, a snorkel vest that I could wear all of the time aboard, a watertight container with my passport and money I could wear hung from my neck, and my trusty PLB.

A German woman is missing, presumed dead following a fire onboard the Dive Pro Liveaboard-operated MY Sea Legend, which caught fire during the early hours of 22 February, and sank shortly afterwards.

The liveaboard departed from Hurghada on 17 February for a tour of the Brothers, Daedalus and Elphinstone reefs, and was just 3km from shore when the fire broke out. 17 passengers of varying nationalities, 12 Egyptian crew and two Egyptian dive guides were on board.

According to a report in the German scuba magazine Taucher.net, eyewitness statements suggest the fire started in the kitchen, and quickly spread. Those on board were forced to evacuate in under 10 minutes after being woken by the smell of smoke. Some – perhaps fortunately – said they were already half-awake due to the vessel’s passage through heavy seas.

In an interview posted on Taucher’s YouTube channel, four of the divers say that the situation was very chaotic, that none of the crew or guides took responsibility for the evacuation; and although the crew managed to lower the two zodiacs into the water, the liveaboard was still moving, enshrouding the dive platform in smoke and making it virtually impossible to board them safely.

One of the zodiac’s engines was not working, while the other was poorly inflated and taking on water. The boats were tethered together, and shortly after the passengers left the Sea Legend, two large explosions were heard coming from the stricken vessel. There were no life vests, no lights, no emergency flares, and there is uncertainty amongst the passengers as to whether or not an emergency SOS call was ever sent from the dive boat – some passengers had brought mobile phones and were attempting to raise the alert with the weak signal available.

Yes, this happened while I was there in Hurghada. Few days after this incident, a woman diver lost her entire arm when it was amputated by a dive boat's prop. The woman diver was rising up to the surface and came under the dive boat with active propeller. The dive boat that ran her over wasn't the dive boat she was diving from.

I think I'd rather just charter a boat out of Jeddah. At least the kingdom has consequences for screwing up.

yes, Chop-Chop Square is still up and running.

Well.... technically it is not

This report, developed from a video made by three survivors, is horrifying in terms of what they went through, and extremely sobering in terms of the delta between what they report and the official reports. Among everything else, the confusion over whether anyone was missing was due to there being one more crew member aboard than the clients had been told. I also posted it in the Red Sea forum but thought people might miss it there.

Fire on the M/Y Sea Legend - Diveinside News

I think I'd rather just charter a boat out of Jeddah. At least the kingdom has consequences for screwing up.

yes, Chop-Chop Square is still up and running.
If you haven't yet dived the reefs offshore of Yanbu they are spectacular.

There were no life vests, no lights, no emergency flares,
With all these reports lately it's easy to write off all Red Sea liveaboards as safety risks but both I've been on have had muster drills on the first day where you grab your life jacket out of the cabin (or from the alternate stash on the fly deck) and meet at the evacuation point. Let's not use a broad brush to paint the entire destination with the failings of a few risky operations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom