Getting from Cancun to Coz/Hotel in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
We are flying into Cancun for a Cozumel trip. I've heard that it's a little work to get to Cozumel (bus and ferry). Does anyone have any specific info on how to get to Cozumel from Cancun airport?

Also, our return flight is very early in the morning, so we will probably go into Cancun the night before and get a hotel near the airport. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,
Dave

Just got back from a trip to Cozumel and the Yucatan Pennisula in August.

We flew in and out of Cancun and found getting to Cozumel a bit of a chore.

I'm not 100% sure this is the best way to go about it, but we arranged for a van to take us to Playa del Carmen from the CUN airport prior to arriving. We used the tour company called Alltournative www.cancunairporttransfers.com/transfers.html at a cost of about $60 for the two of us and a total of four bags. There was a guy with sign waiting for us just outside the terminal.

We had to walk about two-and-a-half blocks from the taxi drop-off location to the ferry. There are people with bikes and carts who'll offer to carry your stuff, but we were fine simply rolling our bags. They don't allow cars near the ferry, and taxis seem to be heavily regulated as to where they can and can not go.

Ferry tickets were 7.50 each, I believe. The ferry runs every hour with a couple of exceptions. I'd check the schedule yourself but there was no 8:00 P.M. ferry and no noon ferry going from PDC to Cozumel.

Grabbed a quick cab from the dock in Cozumel to our resort seven or eight blocks away for about 4 bucks.

If you're not in a hurry, you can take a bus from CUN airport to PDC for about eight bucks a person. We were flying in late in the PM and were anxious to get checked in.

I talked to someone who got their van ride cheaper, but the van stopped at several resorts along the way. They said it took a long time. We had the large Alltournative van to ourselves, and ours was a non-stop trip (approx. 45 minutes).

I'd have to say the worst part was lugging our equipment from the drop off area near the dock to the Ferry terminal. I don't think there's a way to get closer. Next time I think I'll just hire a local with a cart; I don't think they were charging much.

Taking a plane from CUN to Coz is about $130 per person. For me it would be a tough call, but I think I'd still skip the flight and save about 170. However, flight prices change frequently, and I'd check the cost of flying into Cozumel before you make your decision.

On our first trip, we got suckered into a timeshare presentation. A nice lady acted like she was simply offering ferry information. She started out simply explaining where to put our bags, times, etc. Then came a "free" lunch offer; before we knew it we were off to a high-pressured sales presentation. They worked really hard to make us feel bad and stupid for not purchasing their package...it wasn't worth it.

I'm not a travel expert and have only been to Cozumel twice, so take my amature advice for what it's worth.

Cancun > Taxi > Playa > Ferry > Cozumel.

The path of enlightenment

Kestrell:
Cancun > Taxi > Playa > Ferry > Cozumel.

The path of enlightenment
This is what we did also. The taxi was a little pricey but we didn't have to worry about stopping anywhere like the bus does.

My buddy and I recently returned from a trip to Coz via CUN, and it was very smooth. We arrived at different times from different coasts, so our paths to the island were slightly different, each successful.

He wasn't in a hurry when he arrived earlier in the day, so he waited for the next bus and reported that they made one very brief stop along the route to drop someone off who wasn't going all the way to Playa del Carmen. The buses leave approx. hourly, although there appears to be some confusion as to exactly when each time - if you're not in a hurry and not worried about missing the last ferry then the bus is cheap and seemed to work well for him.

I arrived much later in the day and didn't want to risk missing the last hourly ferry and being stuck with a longer wait for the next one, so I grabbed a cab.

When you are going through Mexican customs there are booths along the right side of the room that are trying to sell you ground transport. There are many more once you are through customs and immigration, so don't feel the pressure to take the prices they are quoting first. The bus was $8 or so, and the cab was about $60 - was probably better prices to be had, but I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.

Both the busses and my taxi dropped off at the bus stop, which is a couple of blocks from the ferry terminal. We both just hoofed it with our bags (on wheels) - no big deal, but I did see many others using the tricycle guys to help move bags and people.

The ferries leave pretty much on the hour. The one funny thing is that there are now two different companies - they charge the same and run the exact same schedule - seemingly racing each other across the channel two dozen or more times per day. I wonder why they don't offset their schedules and offer trips every half and hour...?

Anyway, coming back to the states we were going out at the same time and grabbed a cab from PdC to the airport - $30 total for the two of us.

Travelling via CUN is way cheaper, at least from Seattle, and much easier too overall, as there are more flight options available.

yep! that's the way it's done!! I think you can set up the shuttle from Cancun to Playa del Carmen through your travel agent so you don't have to deal with it once you get there, Cancun airport is kind of organized caos or it was when i was there a few years ago, so getting as many ducks in order before getting there as possible is a good idea, but FAMILYDIVER didn't seem to have much of a hassle so maybe things are more organized now.
I don't think there are any hotels right next the airport in Cancun, all the hotels are mostly in the "hotel strip" as i call it, which is a just a few miles from the airport. check with a travel agent to confirm it though.
have a safe trip and happy diving,
marc

TravelDave:
We are flying into Cancun for a Cozumel trip. I've heard that it's a little work to get to Cozumel (bus and ferry). Does anyone have any specific info on how to get to Cozumel from Cancun airport?

Also, our return flight is very early in the morning, so we will probably go into Cancun the night before and get a hotel near the airport. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,
Dave

Much easier and cheaper than what has been offered so far.

After customs/bagagepickup/customs proceed past all of the barkers to the front doors of the terminal. Take a right and follow the side walk past more barkers to the ADO buses that are parked on the far end of the parking lot. Buy your ticket at the bus (80 pesos $7.70 US) and get on the bus that will take near the water front at Playa del Carmen (50 minute ride). Look for a ferry kiosk and buy a around trip ticket to Cozumel for 160 pesos($15 US). Enjoy ride to San Miguel, Coz. (about 25 minutes)

All very easy to do. Buses and ferries run from early in morning to late in the evening on the hour.

Good luck and have a great trip.

SterlingDiver

SterlingDiver:
Buses and ferries run from early in morning to late in the evening on the hour.

Not exactly. There are two or three "on the hours" for which there is no ferry run; check the schedule. Though, I guess there are worse places to cool your heels for a couple of hours than Playa del Carmen... ;^)

Cheers,

Take the Riviera bus from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen ($65 pesos)... then take the ferry to Coz ($180 pesos)...

Back
Top Bottom